This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Makeup is hard, and it requires a lot of effort and a hint of artistic ability. If you’re someone who needs help in the makeup aisle, follow these tips so you look like you know what you’re doing.

1. Foundation

At the store, use the tester and apply it on your jawline by blending it in. This will let you see which color is right for you since this area of skin is lighter.  Using your hand as a palette is a good way to tell if your foundation choice is too light or too dark.

When applying, simply dot it on… a dot is a lot! Start by pumping the foundation onto your non-dominant hand and then apply some on your forehead (dots only) in an upside down triangle—one just between your eyebrows and then one above each eyebrow. Next, put two dots on each of your cheekbones and one last dot on your chin. Blend it all in with your hands if you’re ~feelin’ lazy~, or check out this cheap brush.

2. Eye Shadow

Do you feel like your eye shadow wears off during a night out or even through your work/school day? Using this primer is sure to do the trick to help it stay on longer. A little goes a long way, so this travel size bottle will last a long time and save you a few bucks.

The best part about eye shadow is that it usually comes in a palette, which means there are plenty of colors to use at once or to change things up. If you don’t know where to start, begin with neutral tones as they typically suit all eye colors. The more adventurous you feel, the more colors you can try!

3. Mascara

A holygrail for eyelashes is the eyelash curler. They make your eyelashes look much longer and for those of us who have a hard time in that department, a curler can definitely be a lifesaver.

Next comes the actual mascara. There are so many mascaras out there with different formulas and brushes to give your lashes a variety of length, curl, color, and so on. You can go fuller, longer, and even clumpier…so when applying mascara, a helpful tip is to start from the base of your lashes and roll the mascara wand to the tips. This helps to accentuate your lashes’ natural beauty. Check out our article about a great mascara hack to get evem more tips.

So next time you’re in the beauty aisle of Walgreens or Sephora, use these tips like a pro would to totally rock the products you buy!

Sarah Westbrook

South Carolina

Sarah Westbrook is a senior at the University of South Carolina. She majors in Marketing with a minor in PR and Advertising, and hopes to one day open up a cupcake boutique. She loves baking, snuggling with dogs, watching Criminal Minds, and Carolina Game Days!!!
SC Contributor

South Carolina