Little Ways to Show Someone You Appreciate Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Our family, friends, significant others, and coworkers can mean so much to us. I know that I don’t always show enough appreciation and gratitude for all that others do for me. So, I have come up with some small ways to tell those we love, thank you. What might take you five minutes to do can make that person’s day and leave you both feeling good, so here are some ideas on showing gratitude to those you love.

Make them a playlist.

I’m not sure why, but I think this is one of the most thoughtful things you can do for someone else. Whether it’s songs you both enjoy, music you’d think they might like, or songs that remind you of them, you can’t go wrong with a curated playlist.

A good ole “thank you” card.

This is a classic. Saying thank you via text is one thing, but writing a little homemade card really shows someone just how much you appreciate them. That person can hold onto that card, and when they’re having a bad day, they can re-read the card to remind themselves just how great of a person they are.

Offer to drive them somewhere.

Now, this is something very subtle, but doesn’t go unnoticed. Saying you don’t mind driving (especially if your other friends are drinking) demonstrates that you love and care about them so much. You just want them to be safe!

Call them.

This is more geared towards family and friends that you don’t see often. When I call my grandpa, he always tells me that I made his day. It not only makes me smile, but it also makes me realize how lucky I am to have him still around. So, call your family back home or friends at different colleges. Even a five minute conversation tells someone that you appreciate them.

Pay for their meal.

If you have the means to do so, paying for someone’s lunch tells them that their acts of kindness are appreciated. If a friend has been helping you with your homework, buy them a smoothie just to say thank you. Those who don’t expect anything in return are those who deserve a little act of kindness. 

Just tell them you appreciate them!

This is a given, but I think it needs to be said. Tell them, “you make the world a better place” or “I really appreciate all you do for me. “I know you have a lot going on, but the fact that you continue to support me means the world to me.” 

Try out these little ways to let those in your life know they are appreciated!

Emily Baniewicz

South Carolina '22

Hey y'all! I am a junior at the University of South Carolina studying Public Health a with minor in Spanish. I am pre-med and one day hope to be a sports neurologist. In my free time, I love watching football and soccer, hanging out with friends, and going to the beach!
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.