person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Laura Effinger: The Best Way to Take a Selfie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Earlier this week HCSC had the amazing opportunity to recieve a complimentary photo session with local and renowned photographer Laura Effinger. Laura spent two hours snapping the best photos of me, senior editor for HCSC, for my upcoming graduation. I’m super excited to have these photos, but what held more value was that HCSC and I learned just how important it is to professionally capture the best moments in our lives (versus an iPhone snapshot) with a photographer who cares just as much about our special moments as we do.

Laura has been published in the Columbia Metropolitan Magazine, The Columbia Fig Magazine, Carolina Bride, Destination Wedding Details, Destination Vows, Hochzeitsportal24 (an online German publication), The Learned Bride, and was featured in the very first U.S. edition of the Ultimate Wedding Magazine. She was named one of the top 10 wedding photographers in Columbia for 2016 and 2017 by Expertise.com, and we asked her to speak at our annual “In Her Shoes” event! Laura is passionate about working with people and having them see their best side… so start taking notes!

HCSC: Why is it important for people to reach out to professional photographers over trying to take photos themselves?

LE: “Matt Hardy once said ‘Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph.’ There is absolutely nothing wrong with snapping pictures of yourself or of someone else. Discouraging anyone to pick up a camera would be wrong. What you gain by hiring a professional photographer is someone who has been trained to compose the photograph. We are artists who are often times undervalued for our skills and the education in which we have invested to be able to deliver quality photographs. Hiring a professional photographer insures that you will be provided with quality photographs of a moment in time that often times are once-in-a-lifetime (like weddings).”

HCSC: How should a person pose for the most flattering results?

LE: “Our eye likes symmetry and tries to find it when you look straight at the camera. Unfortunately, no one’s face is perfectly symmetrical and so our eye is disappointed (those who have more symmetry in their facial features are more aesthetically pleasing – think celebrities, models, etc). Therefore, it’s best to turn your nose slightly off center to tell the viewer’s eye to stop looking for symmetry and appreciate the other aspects of the photograph. If you let me take your portrait, I will guide you through this. A common lead from me is ‘shoulders back, turn your face a little towards the right, chin up and out, now down, a little more, and hold it!'”

HCSC: “Duck face” seems to have taken over and most of the time, it does no justice. What would you say about posing your face?

LE: “A common trick to get a nice, natural smile is to say a long ‘heeeyyy’ letting your mouth slowly close into a smile (usually my client will laugh at herself when she does this because it feels funny so then I capture a true smile that illuminates the eyes as well). This is especially helpful when you have a group of people and you want that candid photo where everyone looks at each other and smiles. Are you like me and close your eyes when you smile? Try pressing your tongue against the back of your teeth next time you smile. It helps you keep your eyes open.”

HCSC: Every girl knows it’s all about the lighting. What lighting is the best?

LE: “The best outdoor natural lighting is during a time called ‘the golden hour.’ That’s the time right after sunrise or right before sunset where the light is soft and almost golden (hint the name). Otherwise, try to avoid the harsh noon sun (clouds are your friend). If you must take portraits during the middle of the day, find some shade! If you schedule an outdoor portrait with me, I will suggest either early morning or late afternoon. I also love to pull out my off-camera flash and shoot after the sun goes down.”

HCSC: What does Lola Dee Photography promise to its customers?

LE: “Being a member of the Professional Photographers of America, I have agreed adhere to their code of ethics which states: that I am to ‘use the highest levels of professionalism, honesty and integrity in all relationships with colleagues, clients and the general public.’ That perfectly sums up what you can expect from Lola Dee Photography when you hire me as your professional photographer, as it’s a promise I would provide even if I were not a member.”

So there you have it. Among the droves of students in caps and gowns on the Horseshoe having their friends take their photos via iPhone, Laura was prepared with a professional camera, lighting, and props to ensure the best photos were produced. She took the time to tell me how to place my chin, where to face, and which direction my eyes should be looking. She took the time to pose me so that I loved my photos on the first shot, which never works out when we have our friends snap a photo of us… you know we have to take the same photo 10 times until it’s perfect. 

To contact Laura and book a session, call 803-394-0539 or email info@loladeephotography.com.

Katie Kinslow

South Carolina

Communicator, award-winning time waster, avid Cheez-it eater, Pinterest zombie, Halloween enthusiast, passionate writer, and shopoholic who probably needs professional help. 
SC Contributor

South Carolina