Lara Olson: The Next Style Editor for Vogue? Cosmo? Elle?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

After just having traveled Europe over the summer with a kick-ass internship, Lara Olson is onto the next best thing to further her career in the idolized world of fashion. This school year, Lara gets to proudly wear the title of Brand Ambassador for ExpressU, Express’s on-campus promotion intiative. Although you’d expect this beaut to be a bit hard on the outside because of the famously cold industry she’s trying to break into, Lara is extremely kind and is always sporting a smile. With a hand always willing to help and a personality that’s positively contagious, Lara will achieve her dreams. Want to be more like her? Yeah duh, me too! Read on to see what she says got her here with ExpressU, what she plans to tackle next, and her advice to you!

Name: Lara Olson

Age: 20

Major: Fashion Merchandising

Year: Junior

Her Campus: How did you land this kick ass job?

Lara Olson: I applied through this awesome program called Youth Marketing Connections (YMC) for the Express Brand Ambassadorship. They held a series of interviews and luckily I was selected for this amazing opportunity!

HC: How does it affect your career and life goals?

LO: My ideal career goal is to be a style editor at a fashion magazine or work at a Fashion PR Company in Manhattan. With this program I get to “express” my personal style with this amazing clothing company while building my personal brand as well. I’m hoping this brand ambassadorship will give me real life experience in throwing events and independently promoting a company.

HC: What are your plans with this ambassador program on campus?

LO: We will throw a few super fun events and promotional activities for Express this semester. Our first event is on Monday, August 29  on the Horseshoe. We will have some free goodies for USC students as well as some yummy cupcakes from Baked By Melissa!

HC: What do you love most about Express and the fashion industry in general?

LO: Women who wear Express feel confident, sexy, and cool in their trendy ensembles and I think that’s something that every young woman wants to feel like! What I love most about the fashion industry is that it is everywhere… even the people who don’t necessarily “love fashion” are still influenced by the major trends that are created by the top designers and editors of major fashion magazines. In my opinion, fashion is the ultimate form of art and getting to express yourself through clothing is incredible.

HC: What are your goals and priorities after graduation?

LO: After graduation, I am moving to Manhattan. Ideally to break into the fashion industry, realistically to live in a studio apartment with two other girls. I have always been a city girl… I love having endless opportunities of fun things to do and the occasional celebrity spotting isn’t the worst thing in the world either. I will get a full-time job within a year and make many connections to help further my career towards my dream job.

HC: Is there anything you would change or wish you had done if you could go back and redo your college career?

LO: In my two years of being a Gamecock, I don’t regret any decisions I’ve made (other than the obligatory midnight Cookout milkshakes). “Never look back darling, it distracts from the now,” is a quote from one of my favorite movies and I live by it. Keeping a positive attitude is one of the many reasons why I acquired my brand ambassadorship with Express!

HC: What is your best piece of advice for young women aspiring to be involved with fashion on campus and beyond?

LO: My best piece of advice is to always be on the lookout for new opportunities for ways to advance your college career and to make beneficial connections through great networking. You never know who will be the next Anna Wintour, she or he could be sitting next to you in class! Also, joining fashion and career based clubs like USC Fashion Board helps a lot in networking with USC before and after graduation.

Hey Lara, don’t forget me when your killin’ the fashion game probably side by side with the editor of Vogue! If you want to stay in the loop about what Lara has going on with ExpressU on campus, follow her Instagram and add Express on snapchat (@express). 

Katie Kinslow

South Carolina

Communicator, award-winning time waster, avid Cheez-it eater, Pinterest zombie, Halloween enthusiast, passionate writer, and shopoholic who probably needs professional help. 
SC Contributor

South Carolina