Keeping Up With Your Confidence: A New Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Confidence – it sounds easy, right? To stand in front of the mirror and be happy. In principle, being confident is a no-brainer; loving yourself for who you are should come naturally. You’re a walking miracle, a unique, one-in-a-million individual. That should be easy to love; we’re living, breathing miracles. It’s so simple, so easy, yet, confidence is something many people struggle with.

2018 is a new year, which means new resolutions and goals. Lots of people commit to eating healthy and working out more, which is wonderful and all, but we should all strive to be our best selves. But confidence is not simply about looking “thin” or “slim.” Being healthy is one part of it. Taking care of yourself will in turn make you feel good about yourself. It’s important to make sure we’re in good physical shape, but confidence goes much deeper than that.

Confidence is about loving yourself no matter who you are, physically and mentally, loving yourself for how you look and how you think. Confidence is loving yourself no matter what you’re wearing, whether you’re in sweats or a dress, makeup or no makeup. Confidence goes deeper than the surface level. Confidence is being happy with your physical and mental self. Society tries to tell us that we can only feel confident when all eyes are on us, when we’re so gorgeous that people can’t help but stop and stare. The reality is confidence is about how you feel behind closed doors. Confidence is walking around your apartment in your underwear and smiling every time you look in the mirror. It’s doing what you feel like doing without fear of judgment from others. Confidence goes deeper than looks – it is loving every aspect of yourself. 

The first step to being truly confident is to ignore all the judgment and hate from people who don’t deserve your attention. Ignore the people who put you down. Once you do that, the road to being truly confident is easy. Unfortunately, it isn’t easy to ignore all the wandering thoughts that tell us to look like the girls in the magazines and not embarrass ourselves in public. But, it will help in the long run. Soon, once all those fearful thoughts are gone you will feel free, free to be yourself, free to be the best you that you can be. You deserve happiness in life and with yourself.

So, sing at the top of your lungs in the car, dance like nobody’s watching and smile Smile knowing that you’re the best you that you can be. Smile because being confident in who you are means so much. A little bit of confidence goes a long way. When you’re confident in yourself, you feel like you can take on the world, you feel invincible. So, go out and be the strong, confident woman you are. Show the world that you can do great things by just being yourself. Because that’s what’s important: being happy with yourself and happy in life.

Alyssa Clark

South Carolina

Alyssa Clark, born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has been a writer her whole life. Ever since she could pick up a pencil her ideas have been as limitless as her imagination. Recently her work has won several awards, including second place in the North East Texas Writer’s Organization Teen Short Story Contest as well as first place in The University of South Carolina’s Honor’s Day Prose Contest. Alyssa is a passionate writer and has been working on her current work in progress, “The Queen of Light,” for over six years now. She is currently a sophomore at the University of South Carolina studying Biochemistry and Molecular biology.
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.