This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

I’m sure you’ve seen advertisements for HelloFresh, the meal kit that gets delivered straight to your door. It’s the largest meal kit provider in the United States, and I have only heard great things about the meals. I decided that I wanted to switch up my cooking, and with insane grocery prices these days, I began my HelloFresh subscription.

I am an avid food lover, and I love to cook. It’s when I am most relaxed, especially while away at school. My problem is that I usually end up preparing myself the same 10 meals in rotation each week. I wanted to switch it up, and I signed up for HelloFresh. It was super easy to do online and I was able to customize how many meals a week I want, as well as the types of meals. I decided to do 3 meals each week, which includes 2 servings each (although you can get up to 5 meals each week and up to 4 servings). There is an online menu of about 20 dishes each week that you are able to choose from, and you can even swap proteins if you choose. You choose which day you would like your box delivered and then you’re good to go! You are supplied with all of the ingredients needed to make the meals that you pick (minus things like oil and butter). I was pleasantly surprised with how fresh all of the produce was that came and the good quality of the ingredients. Here’s what I made my first time trying HelloFresh:

• Cantina shrimp fajitas: I never make shrimp at school, so this was a real treat. These were more like tacos, in my opinion. Nonetheless, they were amazing. The combination of red pepper crema and spicy guacamole was quite delicious. Although filling, it came with a side of rice or beans to complete the meal. Rating: 7.5/10
  • Pork chops: I’ve never prepared pork chops myself, so this meal was a bit daunting at first. It came with potatoes, green beans, and a cranberry shallot sauce. This was a warm, “homey” meal that was absolutely delicious. The pork chops, seared on the stove top and smothered in the shallot sauce, came out perfectly. I was stuffed after this dish and literally almost licking my plate. Rating: 9/10
  • Chicken curry: Oh-em-gee. I am huge fan of curry and Indian-style food, and this absolutely blew me away. It came with chicken thighs, bell pepper, yellow onion, and more. I poured the chicken curry over basmati rice and it was, hands down, one of the most amazing curry dishes I have ever eaten. This is a meal that I will make again on my own whenever I’m needing an Indian food fix. Rating: 10/10

I am pleasantly surprised with how great my HelloFresh meals have been so far. This is undoubtedly a great idea for college students, those who are new to cooking, or anyone with a busy schedule. The flexibility and uniqueness of the meals leaves me excited to receive my box every week.

Sarah Heyman

South Carolina '24

Sarah is the social media manager and a writer for the South Carolina Her Campus chapter. She manages all social media and posts content for her chapter. Sarah also writes editorial articles regularly. Sarah is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying Marketing. In her free time, Sarah likes to work out, spend time with family, and try new foods.