Style > Beauty

How To Find Skincare That’s Healthy For You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Healthy, natural skincare products are becoming increasingly more popular — so much so that the market for natural skincare is expected to nearly double from 2021 to 2030. Our skin is our largest organ, and it should be treated accordingly. Everything that we put on our skin contains particles that enter our system. That being said, skincare that’s healthy for you is extremely important.

The FDA approves of ingredients, including paragons and phthalates, and considers them safe — while other research has said the opposite. According to the Environmental Working Group, these ingredients contain chemicals that affect our hormones and may increase your risk of cancer or fertility problems.

Be good to your skin. You’ll wear it everyday for the rest of your life.

Orea Skincare

Beauty and skincare should be fun, not a research lab. I’ve found a few tips that can help you find products that are both good for you and for your skin.

Try clean beauty brands:

1. True botanicals. This company brand uses strictly organic and wildcrafted ingredients. It ethically sources vegan ingredients that contain absolutely no toxins or fillers.
  2. OSEA. All of its skincare products are made with all-natural, plant-based ingredients. Its face oil is an essential part of my everyday skincare routine.
  3. Cocokind. This company does research on all of its ingredients it sources to make sure that it meets strict efficacy, safety and sustainability standards. I’ve found this brand at my local Whole Foods.

Look for these ingredients:

1. Algae. All types of algae contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties for our skin. It helps improve elasticity and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
  2. Green tea. Studies have shown that green tea can reduce sun damage, protect skin from cancer and decrease collagen breakdown.
  3. Argan oil. This plant oil is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent for our skin. It’s especially good for acne-prone and normal to oily skin.
Sarah Heyman

South Carolina '24

Sarah is the social media manager and a writer for the South Carolina Her Campus chapter. She manages all social media and posts content for her chapter. Sarah also writes editorial articles regularly. Sarah is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying Marketing. In her free time, Sarah likes to work out, spend time with family, and try new foods.