The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Halloween is around the corner and if you haven’t already started decorating, now is the time to start! It may seem like a challenge to decorate for Halloween when you are confined to a dorm, but that shouldn’t stop you from feeling festive this October. Check out these tips to make the most of your dorm decor this spooky season.

Start with your bed

Your bed is the focal point of your room, making it the easiest and most effective way to change up your room for Halloween. Switch out your usual throw pillows and throw blanket with something spookier for a quick and festive change.

Focus on adding subtle decor

When living in a dorm, you are limited with the amount of space you have. Decorating your walls with hundreds of bat decals and filling your room with mini pumpkins does a good job of decorating for Halloween, but it can be impractical in a dorm setting. Instead of adding things to your room, consider switching up the basics. Every day items such as your morning coffee mug, movie posters or flower pots can be swapped out to be more festive.

switch up your lighting

Changing up your lighting is a great way to shift the ambiance in a room. Switch out your regular fairy lights with some Halloween lights or pick up a spooky neon sign. If going all out for the holiday isn’t your thing, you can always set your favorite fall candle on your desk for some cozy fall vibes.

Don’t forget your door

Why limit the decor to the inside of your dorm? Decorate the outside of your door so your hall-mates can celebrate Halloween with you! You can either keep it simple with a festive wreath or go all out with a spooky banner and some cobwebs.

Although it can be a challenge, celebrating Halloween is still possible in a dorm environment. Use these tips to successfully decorate your dorm this Halloween season!

Jenna Marandola

South Carolina '24

Jenna is a junior public relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is a foodie and hopes to travel anywhere and everywhere. She loves cooking and is always down for a trip to the beach.