This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

When most people think about long distance relationships, the first thought is that it is destined to fail. Yes, long-distance relationships are hard, but so is every relationship whether you are near or far. Long distance relationships rely on trust, patience and communication.  If those key things are there, then being far away from the person you love isn’t so bad (except when you want cuddles at 3 a.m.). Here are some tips for surviving a long-distance relationship and guaranteeing a happily ever after.

1. Have A Plan

Having a plan for your long-distance relationship is key to making it work. This includes knowing what you and your partner want for this relationship and how long you both expect for your relationship to be long distance. Being long distance is supposed to be a temporary phase in your life, so knowing if you aren’t going to be together for 3 months or 3 years is going to make a huge difference in your relationship. Having a plan on when you are going to visit and see each other is important as well. Establishing a time to see each other will not only help with the loneliness, but it is also a great opportunity to experience new things together. For example, every three months you can plan a visit to see each other whether it is going to where your partner lives or meeting somewhere in the middle.

2. Trips

Again, trips are important to plan to see each other. While trips are supposed to be a wonderful, magical experience between you and your significant other, they are also a way for you to connect. Maybe you and your significant other get into a fight while visiting, while this totally sucks, it is beneficial because you develop better communications skills and get to know each other’s quirks better. Also, do not put too much pressure on visits. Some visits will be exactly what you need: being with the person who makes you the happiest in the world. Sometimes it may leave you annoyed and disappointed especially if your significant other has to work, but it is all about what you make it and the quality time you spend together.

3. Effort

Being in a long-distance relationship does take more effort. Not seeing each other can sometimes lead to feelings of doubt and mistrust. Putting in effort helps keep those fears away. So, sending your significant other a card that you miss them or them sending you a box of your favorite goodies can help tremendously when you are missing them the most. Texting and calling each other every day, even if it is as simple as calling and saying good morning, is a sweet gesture just to let them know you are thinking about them and that they are a priority in your life. Always remember that effort needs to be put in by both parties. A relationship requires two, so two people should put in the effort to make the relationship work.

4. Be You

It is easy to get caught up waiting by the phone for your significant other to call or text you while in a long-distance relationship. While it is the best feeling when you finally get to talk to your person, you need to have a life of your own outside your relationship. Constantly talking and texting is great at first but eventually, it will get old and you will run out of things to talk about. So, go out with your friends, take up a hobby, and keep busy. This will take your mind off of being away from your S.O. but it will also give you something new to talk about whenever you do talk.

Being in an LDR is work, but when you are doing it with the person you love, it is worth it. They are the only person to know exactly what you are going through. All you want at the end of the day is to be a little bit closer (cue Tegan and Sara).

Roni Maybin

South Carolina

Current student at the University of South Carolina studying Retail Managment/Marketing. During my rare free time, you can catch me reading a new book or trying to travel to a new city. Hoping to live out my best life with as many dogs as my heart desires.