clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Deal When Your Friends Are Graduating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

We all have someone who we’ll miss once they graduate from college. Maybe it’s the friend who can make your day better no matter how horrible it is, the friend that never fails to make you laugh, the friend you’ve had since grade school, or even the friend you met in a class. They’re here now, but they won’t be forever, and it’s a feeling we can all relate to. So here’s a few ways to make this reality a little easier to deal with.

Communication

We probably think about the people we care about daily, but are we reaching out to them? There is no denying that when it gets to that time in the semester where everyone is swamped with school and work, the days seem to disappear right in front of us. To keep a friendship connected, communication is extremely important. A five-minute phone call can make a difference! You will have other Saturdays to catch up on rest. Make plans, follow through, and have a fun time.

Attend a variety of university events

For most of us, we only go to college once. While we might get frustrated by the workload and long nights, it’s no secret that this time is precious and one day we will miss it badly. Go to the parties, sporting events, have a night out with your crew, do it all. Do something with your friends you’ve never done before. Paint the town red! Your friends are graduating and it might be awhile before they re-visit, so do anything and everything college related.

Try to be positive and supportive

It’s inevitable. Your friends are moving on to the next chapter in their lives, and it’s not going to be easy on either of you. You may feel sad and lonely at times, like it might not never be the same, but what you have to think about are the friends who are graduating. They’re about to jump head first into the real world—a scene that’s entirely different than college. Adulthood is intimidating, and your friends will need your support. They probably need you as much as you think you need them right now.

Forget any drama and make every day count

The days are numbered, so don’t sweat the small stuff. Be careless, have fun and don’t let something insignificant or from the past effect any time left spent together. What can get you through hard times are memories to reminisce about…so make them!