Wellness > Health

Grocery Items That Changed my Gut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

As a college student who really struggled to eat healthy my freshman year. I was amazed at how changing my diet can change the way that I look AND feel. A healthy gut contains bacteria and immune cells that help fend against bacteria and viruses. A healthy gut also communicates with the brain through nerves and hormones, which helps maintain our health and well-being. Here are a few items that I now keep in stock 24/7 that have completely fixed my gut:

1. GoodBelly Probiotic Juice.  This juice comes in 3 or 4 different flavors — all of which are delicious. You can drink this daily for healthy digestion and gut health. It contains “Lactobacillus plantarum 299 v” which is naturally found in our intestinal system. GoodBelly is so confident you will love their products that if you try them for 12 days and don’t love it, they’ll give you your money back.
  2. ProBugs Kefir. Kefir itself is a fermented milk drink packed with tons of nutrients. Studies have proven that it can boost your immune system, aid in digestive problems, improve bone health, and may even combat cancer. ProBugs is targeted towards children, as it comes in a drinkable pouch that appeal to their tastebuds. This brand makes their kefir with 99% lactose-free cultured milk and contains microbes that help balance our microbiome. 
  3. Kombucha. Kombucha is usually a sweetened tea and is a culture of bacteria and yeast. It’s packed to the brim with probiotics, antioxidants, and anti-bacterials — everything that our gut craves. To be completely honest, I was not a fan of kombucha until recently. I found that most of the ones that I had tried were too bubbly and I didn’t love the taste. Luckily, I came across a few that I can’t get enough of now: Health-Ade Kombucha (the ginger-lemon and pomegranate flavors are delicious) and Synergy Raw Kombucha (the “trilogy” flavor is a must-try).
  4. Apples. No matter what type of apple you like best, recent studies have shown that one apple contains 100 million bacteria. They are full of prebiotic fiber and plant compounds (polyphenols) that gut microbes love. Apples are also high in fiber, which helps to reduce inflammation common during infections.

Once you truly realize how important our gut health is, you’ll be looking for things to add to your diet to have yourself feeling your very best.

Sarah Heyman

South Carolina '24

Sarah is the social media manager and a writer for the South Carolina Her Campus chapter. She manages all social media and posts content for her chapter. Sarah also writes editorial articles regularly. Sarah is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying Marketing. In her free time, Sarah likes to work out, spend time with family, and try new foods.