Gluten-Free Recipes that Don’t Taste Gluten-Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

I have been gluten-free since 2015 and over the years I have learned that you don’t have to compromise on flavor just because you cannot eat wheat. To share some of my wisdom with y’all, I have decided to put some of my favorite recipes here so that you can try it! First, let’s clear up some common misconceptions/misinformation about being gluten-free:

1. For most of us, being gluten-free is not a choice. I grew up eating bread and cake, so I know what I’m “missing” out on.

2. Gluten is wheat. Most food packaging will not say “contains: gluten.” Instead, they will say, “contains: wheat.” You can think of wheat and gluten being one in the same because wheat always includes gluten.

3. Just because something is gluten-free, does not make it automatically healthier. Often you have to substitute wheat for a myriad of other ingredients.

Okay, now that all of that is out of the way, here are some of my favorite recipes! I have decided not to include any recipes with “wheat substitutes” as I am assuming most of y’all can eat wheat.

1. Zucchini Pizza Boats

With only 330 calories per serving, you won’t feel guilty about eating 6 of them!

2. World’s Fanciest Greek Salad

Okay, it’s not actually called that, but I think it is! Sometimes, I want to change it up and instead of a regular salad with lettuce, I make a huge batch of this for lunch. It usually stays in the fridge 3 days after making it, perfect for leftovers!

3. Chicken Tikka Masala

For someone who likes a little spice, this recipe is perfect! The recipe calls for serving the meal with pita bread, but I don’t think it is necessary.

4. Iceburgers

I’m sure you’ve heard of cheeseburgers and lettuce wraps. With this recipe, you get the best of both worlds (s/o Hannah Montana).

5. Pineapple Fried Rice Thai-Style

For those who happen to be gluten-free and vegetarian, this recipe is perfect! If I am super hungry (which I almost always am), I try to add in some more protein, like chicken or quinoa.

6. Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Peppers.

Need I say more?!

What’s great about these recipes are that they are delicious whether you have dietary restrictions or not. Happy cooking!

Emily Baniewicz

South Carolina '22

Hey y'all! I am a junior at the University of South Carolina studying Public Health a with minor in Spanish. I am pre-med and one day hope to be a sports neurologist. In my free time, I love watching football and soccer, hanging out with friends, and going to the beach!
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.