Giving Back: Ways to Get Involved in Community Service at UofSC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

There’s always a great opportunity to give back and help those in your community. At the University of South Carolina, there are several options. This makes it easy to choose one that fits with your causes and availability. Getting involved with volunteering can not only help you make a difference, but enhance your teamwork, communication, and leadership skills. So, please consider one of these options as a start. 

1. Service Saturdays 

One Saturday each month, students can choose from a range of service sites to volunteer at. Lunch is always provided. This is a super low commitment option for those who don’t always have enough time to volunteer, but still want to help others. 

1. Alternative Breaks

Instead of going home for the holidays, students have the option of engaging in community service work with their fellow peers. At the expense of a registration fee, you’ll travel to a community that’s in need of assistance where transportation, lodging, and meals will be provided. For the Winter 2024 Break, the university will be going to New Orleans, Louisiana. 

1. Community Service Ambassador 

As an ambassador, there is a heavier commitment with a requirement of 50 volunteer hours over the course of a single semester. Students get to choose a non-profit of their choice that aligns with their values and work on a project with them. As community service ambassadors, you will also  engage in social issue discussions weekly. This is a great way to meet others who support the same causes as you do, while making an impact. 

1. Omega Phi Alpha 

Established in 1967, Omega Phi Alpha is a national service sorority that has the pillars of friendship, leadership, and service. Their chapter is an amazing place to be a part of a community that works together to serve others, give back, gain leadership skills, and build friendships in the process. 

In summary, the University of South Carolina offers a wide range of community service opportunities, catering to different levels of commitment. Whether it’s a low-commitment option like Service Saturdays or the deeper engagement of being a Community Service Ambassador, there’s something for everyone. At USC, giving back is more than an opportunity; it’s a chance to grow and make an impact.

Avona Le

South Carolina '25

Hi! I'm the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. I oversee all articles published by our chapter and even write some of my own! I'm currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, majoring in Marketing and Finance with a concentration in Business Analytics. I want to pursue a career in marketing analytics or market research. In my free time, I love to try new restaurants, hang with friends and go on walks. I am always down to catch an amazing view of the sun or the stars!