This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The beginning of the semester is always stressful. New classes come with new responsibilities and a seemingly never-ending list of deadlines. Try out these tips to start off your semester organized and motivated!

Make a list of your goals

Take some time to establish what you want to accomplish during the upcoming semester. These goals can be academic, social, or personal. Establishing goals early on will help you to manage your time and prioritize activities that will help you reach them.

familiarize yourself with your classes

Before you think of adding more things to your plate, make sure you are aware of your current workload and responsibilities for the semester. Despite seeming pointless, thoroughly reading your syllabus is the best way to make sure you are receiving all of the information you need for your classes. As you are reviewing your workload for the semester, make note of any important due dates and expectations to ensure your success.

make a schedule

If you struggle with time management, it may be beneficial for you to structure your week with a schedule. This can be in the form of a calendar, planner, or even just a list on your phone. Make sure you are keeping track of important due dates and commitments so you don’t forget about any of them. Although it may seem tedious to keep up with now, your future self will be thanking you for being so well-prepared and organized when you had the time to be.

cut out A time in your day to focus on yourself

It isn’t realistic or sustainable to be productive 24/7, so it is important to give the social aspects of your life attention, in addition to your academics. Taking a few hours out of your day to relax and do something that you enjoy will help to prevent burning out from an overload of work. Make time to catch up with friends, binge-watch your favorite Netflix show, or even take a nap. Remember that your social life and mental well-being are just as important as maintaining your grades, so it is necessary to give yourself a break when needed.

prioritize your health

Although it may seem that staying up all night to cram for an exam will automatically result in an A, it may actually be counterproductive. Our bodies do not do well under stress, so it is important to make sure you are drinking your water, eating enough, and getting a full night of sleep! Taking care of your body will ensure high energy levels and is the best way to set yourself up for success.

The start of the new semester may seem overwhelming, but implementing enough structure and balance into your lifestyle will help to make the rest of the year more manageable!

Jenna Marandola

South Carolina '24

Jenna is a junior public relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is a foodie and hopes to travel anywhere and everywhere. She loves cooking and is always down for a trip to the beach.