Five Things You Need to Start a Professional Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

While we love wearing Nike shorts and a t-shirt to class, there are many times in college when you must dress professionally. There is nothing worse than getting ready for an interview and realizing you have nothing to wear, so plan in advance! Business outfits can be fun and they don’t have to be expensive. In fact, all you need is five basic items to create a professional wardrobe that will get you through college. 

1. Suit

Alright ladies, this is the one category that you should really splurge on. Go out and buy yourself a blazer, a nice pair of black pants, and/or a skirt. Make sure they are tailored and fit well! This is a basic that will stand the test of time and you will thank yourself later!

2. Black Flats or Pumps

We find flats to be best when it comes to shoes because they are comfortable! And, if you’re only going to buy one pair of shoes, they should be black. They will match just about anything and will look professional. You can also find these cheap!

3. One Fun Dress or Skirt

When you’re dressing business casual and you want your personality to shine, this is the perfect option. You can add a cardigan or different accessories to mix it up into a bunch of outfits too. We like wearing a blazer over a patterned dress to make an otherwise casual dress look professional. 

4. Staple-piece Tops

Find a few colorful tops in different styles and you can wear them with your suit pants or skirt. This is a great way to mix things up and create several outfits out of a few pieces. You can also find inexpensive tops at places like Marshalls or Target, but check your closet before you shop! Most people already have basic tops in their wardrobe that would look great under a blazer! 

5. Padfolio

We know this isn’t a piece of clothing, but it’s an accessory that will make you look like you have your life together. It’s basically a folder that can hold your resumes and a notepad to take notes, of course. You can buy a simple black one at Walmart or an office supply store. Bring it to job fairs, interviews, networking events, etc.! Dressing the part can make you feel more confident and impress employers. If you splurge on a few items and buy a few staple pieces, you will be well on your way to landing that job!  

Michala is a Public Relations major at the University of South Carolina.
SC Contributor

South Carolina