This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Did you know that there are over 11.6 million businesses owned by women, making about $1.7 trillion in sales? There are many women out there who have “girl bossed” their way to the top and today we are going to highlight just a few of the many powerful female entrepreneurs out there. 

Kylie Jenner

To start, we have none other than the queen of the makeup industry, Kylie Jenner. Though she is known more as a reality show star, Kylie actually launched the beginning of her business at the age of 18. Her Kylie Lip Kits were a success, leading her to change the brand to Kylie Cosmetics. In 2018, Forbes ranked Kylie at #27 on the list of America’s Richest Self-Made Women. She is the youngest person to ever make the list and is currently only 24 years old. She has plenty of time to continue growing her business and making it into a massive beauty empire. 

Whitney Herd

Herd is the founder of one the fastest growing dating apps, Bumble. She was actually a part of the founding team of Tinder, but after drama with the executives and a filed sexual harassment case, she set out to start her own company. The biggest thing that set Bumble apart from its competitors is that only women are able to initiate a conversion with their matches. This allows women to have a stronger control over their connections and prevents men from sending disgusting or inappropriate messages. 

Arianna Huffington

Huffington is a co-founder of the Huffington Post and CEO of Thrive Global. She stepped down as editor-in-chief of the magazine in 2016 to focus fully on Thrive, which is a company that utilizes technology and media in order to transform the American workplace. In the office, many employees are facing burnout and stress, so Huffington strives to help them improve their well-being and create better habits to increase productivity. 

Melanie Perkins

The fabulous graphic design platform that is Canva was co-founded by Perkins and launched in 2013. It is an Australian based company that allows users to create stunning presentations and graphics easily. She is currently the CEO and is estimated to have a net worth of $6.5 billion, according to Forbes.

Katie Ann Echevarria Rosen Kitchens

Kitchens is a co-founder and editor-in-chief of the lifestyle subscription box, FabFitFun, which has over a million members. The box is filled with full-sized beauty and fitness products that help women push to create healthier lifestyles. Not only does Kitchens try to support other women, she decided to keep her full name to represent the Latino community as she is Puerto-Rican.

Avona Le

South Carolina '25

Hi! I'm the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. I oversee all articles published by our chapter and even write some of my own! I'm currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, majoring in Marketing and Finance with a concentration in Business Analytics. I want to pursue a career in marketing analytics or market research. In my free time, I love to try new restaurants, hang with friends and go on walks. I am always down to catch an amazing view of the sun or the stars!