Deciphering the 2015 VMAs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Judging from the consensus reached via the Twittersphere, the overwhelming reaction to this year’s MTV Music Video Awards was, “What did I just watch?”

The show had a strong start with a joint performance by Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift, which was especially interesting given their recent Twitter-feud. It seems there are no longer hard feelings between these two pop queens, however, it wasn’t exactly a night of apologies and resolutions.

Soon after the performance, Minaj called out host Miley Cyrus for throwing shade in a recent interview. Another past feud played out on center stage was Kanye’s famous hijacking of Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech at the 2009 VMAs. What appeared to be meant as a staged, warm fuzzy reconciliation took a bizarre turn as Kanye took the stage and gave a long rambling speech that did everything but outright apologize for the six-year-old slight. He did manage to declare his candidacy for the 2020 presidential election, though.

Aside from the bickering and the news of presidential candidate Yeezy, the other trending topic of the night was Miley Cyrus. Now, as someone who wears norts (Nike shorts) and t-shirts most days, I don’t exactly have a lot of room to comment on fashion. That being said, most of Miley’s outfits looked like they could have been created by covering oneself in glue and rolling around in a craft drawer. Miley also made a splash with her performance, the final one of the night, in which she gyrated around and talked about how much she likes weed before dropping a surprise album “Miley & Her Dead Petz”.

Except for TaySwift winning video of the year (no big surprise), I couldn’t even tell you who won the awards. But what I can say for sure is that this year’s VMAs will not be forgotten anytime soon.

Sophomore international business and marketing major at the University of South Carolina. Originally from New Jersey
Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!