basketball, university of south carolina
Meghan Keeler
Life > Experiences

Day Trip Itinerary to Columbia, South Carolina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Columbia is a beautiful city in the heart of South Carolina that offers a lot of places to visit and explore. Whether you are a history buff or a nature lover, there’s something for everyone. Here’s my suggested itinerary for a day trip to Columbia, South Carolina!

9:00 AM: Start your day with breakfast at The Devine Cinnamon Roll Deli. This local favorite is known for its mouthwatering cinnamon rolls, but they also offer a wide selection of breakfast sandwiches and pastries. Grab a coffee and a seat outside to enjoy the beautiful weather.

10:00 AM: After breakfast, head over to the  South Carolina State House. You can take a guided tour of the State House and learn about the state’s rich history.

12:00 PM: For lunch, head to The Gourmet Shop, a local favorite that offers delicious sandwiches, salads, and soups. Eat in their cozy indoor dining room or take your lunch to go and have a picnic at the Finlay Park nearby.

1:00 PM: After lunch, visit the Columbia Canal and Riverfront Park! It’s a scenic trail that runs along the Congaree River. This beautiful trail is perfect for a morning walk or a bike ride. You can enjoy the stunning views of the river. The trail is well-maintained, and you can find restrooms and water fountains along the way.

3:00 PM: Next is the South Carolina State Museum! This massive complex is the largest museum in the state and features exhibits on South Carolina’s history, natural resources, and art. Be sure to check out the planetarium and the 4D theater while you’re there.

5:00 PM: End your day with dinner at California Dreaming! This is one of the most popular restaurants in Columbia to try! They have many classic American dishes, including steaks, burgers, salads, and seafood.

Columbia, South Carolina is a city that offers a lot of places to visit and explore. This day trip itinerary is perfect for anyone who wants to experience the city’s history and natural beauty. Follow this itinerary for a great day spent exploring the best of this charming Southern city!

Avona Le

South Carolina '25

Hi! I'm the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. I oversee all articles published by our chapter and even write some of my own! I'm currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, majoring in Marketing and Finance with a concentration in Business Analytics. I want to pursue a career in marketing analytics or market research. In my free time, I love to try new restaurants, hang with friends and go on walks. I am always down to catch an amazing view of the sun or the stars!