Daquan Williams: Swyping the Dance Floor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Daquan Williams, a senior at USC and self-taught street dancer, is considered nothing short of a celebrity on campus.

As president of dance in the hip-hop organization Swype, Williams claims he has helped expand Swype from a 7 member club to almost 30-50 members per semester. He says USC has “opened doors” for him in dancing by introducing him to “a plethora of dancers and styles surrounding the Columbia area.” In addition, he met his mentor, Phu (the previous president of dance), and was able to start choreographing for the first time.

Williams has big plans for the future of dance at USC. Some of his ideas include “hosting a big community event, to having free dance classes for high school students with Swype, or at least trying to integrate the club within the surrounding dance programs at school.”

Although Williams does not consider himself a campus celebrity, many on campus (including us) would disagree. His aspirations for the future entail “being on someone’s tour,” but he says, “realistically speaking, I don’t know. A dancer’s life is unpredictable so you can’t really say.”

Well, we’re certainly rooting for you Daquan! We hope you reach your goals for Swype at USC, and move on to tackle all your future ambitions!

Love to dance? If you would like to know more about Swype or how to get involved with dance on campus, check out Swype’s Facebook page here.

Writer for University of South Carolina, sophomore, exercise science major.
Kristina Zagame

South Carolina

Born and raised right outside the great city of Boston. Senior at the University of South Carolina. Major: Broadcast Journalism. Minor: Sport and Entertainment Management. Interests include traveling, storytelling, and trying to squeeze in naps. Biggest pet peeve: being told, "no." Instagram & Twitter: @kzagame GO COCKS!