This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If this semester seems to be harder than previous and you feel burnt out, Congaree National Park is the perfect place to find some perspective and reflect. The park is the largest old-growth bottomland hardwood forest remaining in the southeastern United States covering over 27,000 acres. What does that mean for you? Well, lots of beautiful forests, water basins, a wide range of biodiversity (including wild boars), and of course rejuvenation. Plus, it is a safe, outdoor, and of course, socially distant activity that anyone can do!

I spent a few hours hiking there and let me tell you, it was quite the workout. However, if you’re looking for more of a relaxed short walk, there are plenty of trails that are short, scenic, and easy to navigate. Trail lengths last anywhere from under a mile to over 12 miles! On the other hand, if you are one that loves to spend time in the water, there are planned expeditions for kayakers and canoers. Some may prefer to take it at their own pace, so you can kayak or canoe independently with over 15 miles of scenic waterways at your disposal. While the park itself does not have kayaks or canoes for rent, there are several nearby outfitters that can supply you with whatever you need. 

For those wanting to spend a few days in nature as opposed to just an afternoon, there are campgrounds that are very affordable and right next to the trails! (Note: you must make a reservation for the campground).

With COVID-19, the park has modified some of its featured activities. To stay up to date on their latest protocols visit https://www.nps.gov/cong/planyourvisit/index.htm. You can also find out more information regarding trails, fishing, canoeing, etc. Happy adventuring! 

Emily Baniewicz

South Carolina '22

Hey y'all! I am a junior at the University of South Carolina studying Public Health a with minor in Spanish. I am pre-med and one day hope to be a sports neurologist. In my free time, I love watching football and soccer, hanging out with friends, and going to the beach!
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.