This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Being far away from family while at school is always hard, but home can feel extra far away during holidays. Although being with family is ideal, sometimes a plane ticket back home doesn’t fit into your schedule or your budget.

It is important to remember that even though you are not at home, carrying out your normal traditions is still possible. It may not be the same, but by celebrating the holiday as you typically would you will be bringing a comforting sense of home that you may be missing. Simple things such as baking and cooking your favorite holiday meal can easily be incorporated into your day.

Part of what makes holidays special is that you take time to relax and spend it around people you care about. Although you may not have your family to spend the day with, you can always celebrate with close friends. Take the day off from your normal responsibilities and spend it with your friends. You don’t have to do anything holiday-specific, but something as simple as going out to dinner with some friends will make your day more enjoyable if you are bummed out by not being able to make it home.

Being far away from your family can feel lonely, but that doesn’t mean that you still can’t check in with them. FaceTime, call, or zoom your family for a bit to enjoy their company from far away. It may not be ideal, but it is better than nothing. Catching up with your family or even doing some of your favorite traditions together via FaceTime will replicate home as much as possible so you don’t have to miss out on too much.

Being away from home and straying from your usual holiday traditions can be disappointing, but it doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate as usual. Making small steps to incorporate the holiday into your new environment will bring you closer to home when you are stuck at school.

Jenna Marandola

South Carolina '24

Jenna is a junior public relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is a foodie and hopes to travel anywhere and everywhere. She loves cooking and is always down for a trip to the beach.