david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Celebrate Fall by Making These Dairy-Free Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Midterms are here, so it’s pretty hard to be a college student right now. It’s times like this where we must remember how to relax and treat ourselves, and baking a dessert is one of the best ways to do this.

The following recipe not only has the pumpkin flavors many of us crave in the fall, but it can be made without dairy!  Several health benefits are associated with cutting back on dairy, and, luckily, when you’re making delicious recipes such as this one, you don’t have to cut back on taste. If this isn’t your thing, you could always substitute the mock-dairy products for the real deal. 

The following instructions are inspired by minimalistbaker.com

How to Make Dairy-Free Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls:

Ingredients:

Dough:

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 2 Tbsp vegan butter
  • 1 packet of instant yeast
  • 1 pinch of sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 3 cups flour

Topping:

• 2 Tbsp vegan butter
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin butter
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1. To make the dough, soften 1 cup almond milk and 2 Tbsp vegan butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted. Cool until it is warm but not hot. Sprinkle in 1 packet of instant yeast, a pinch of sea salt, and 1 Tbsp of sugar. 

2. Let this activate for 10 minutes and then add a ½ tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. After a few minutes, whisk in ⅓ cup pumpkin puree.

3. Add 3 cups of flour in ½ cup increments, and then knead into a ball with additional flour if needed. 

4. Coat a mixing bowl with oil, and roll the dough around in it to coat it.

5. Roll the dough out into a rectangular shape on a lightly floured surface.

6. Brush the dough with 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter and ½ cup melted pumpkin butter. Sprinkle on ⅓ cup sugar, 1 Tbsp of cinnamon, and ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice. 

7. Now you are ready to roll up the dough, cut it into 2 inch sections, and place it in a pan.

7. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and then bake for 35 minutes.

Happy baking!

Brooke Lindley

South Carolina '22

Brooke is a student at the University of South Carolina Honors College. She studies psychology, English, and theatre. She enjoys singing in University Chorus and participating in service with the sorority Epsilon Sigma Alpha. You can find her on Instagram @brookehope.
Katie Graybill

South Carolina '20

Katie is a journalism student at the University of South Carolina. She loves the beach, traveling, writing, and spending time with her pets!