This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If flowers are blooming than you should be too! Bring that spring happiness into your workspace for a better mental state and for some natural serotonin.

For those of you who have not reached an obsession with plants, I am here to tell you why you should be. Now before I go on an absolute tangent about plants I want to share an experience of my own. The first plant that I actually cared about keeping alive for the first time in my life was a bamboo plant. I had to keep this in my hometown because I knew that bringing it to college will kill it because well, I essentially would kill it. I could not take care of plants to save my life. In fact, I felt like they hated me because they would die so often. Accidently dropping them, forgetting to water them, overwatering them; it was just too much work- they are like children.

INVEST IN PLANTS. JUST DO IT.

After all the miserable plant experiences I had, I decided to invest in plants. This decision was mainly influenced by my roommate who would rave about her plant collection in pure ecstasy. How could a couple plants make someone feel so joyous and is this really worth the hype? I did not understand until I got a couple of small plants. I noticed that the more plants I would get and start to accumulate in my room, the less anxious and safer I felt. My room has always been my safe space but since moving to college and having such ugly walls to stare at and overall emptiness I felt like I lost my safe space. I feel more relaxed, less stressed and more motivated to do my work when surrounded by the calming essence of nature. I found that taking care of my plants was another way of taking care of myself. If I were attentive to their needs, I was for my own needs too. If they started to suffer, I followed. Especially for those who suffer with seasonal depression, seeing plants thriving in the springtime sun will help you feel better even when you are indoors.

I found that taking care of my plants was another way of taking care of myself. If i were attentive to their needs, i was for my own needs too. If they started to suffer, I followed.”

There are multiple mental health and productive benefits that plants offer, but the proper motivation to taking care of them is essential so you can keep these plants thriving. Many question their interest in plants due to the care, but as someone who was known as the “plant killer” from my mother, I can promise you there is a plant out there that will handle what you can give them!

Plants are not so complicated after all

Plant attention depends on the type of plant you choose to get. If you want the high-maintenance plant because it looks pretty, you are going to have to keep up with it. Trust me, if you forget about your own basic responsibilities, a high-maintenance plant is not for you. If you are choose plants that require less maintenance and care, you are more likely to keep them alive and better yet keep them growing. I found that most of the plants I have in my apartment require partial sunlight and moist soil which is something that I able to keep up with. Indoor plants also have different needs from outdoor plants so they require greater attention and care. The main aspects that you would need to look out for with every plant you choose to get are level of sunlight needed, soil moisture(watering), and temperatures. These vary with each plant so make sure that when you are purchasing you are asking questions or looking for labels with this information. If you are unsure where to start looking I would recommend looking for plants labelled “easy care” and see where you can branch off from there!

The part you may have been waiting for..

To make your life easier and for my own personal bragging of my favorite plants, here are my top three favorite indoor plants that I have that are easy maintenance and will make your workplace greener for the springtime weather!

1. Aloe Vera Plant: The Aloe plant is one of my favorite easy maintenance plants to have. I placed my plant near the window of my room and water it just when I remember to do so. One of my favorite things about this plant is that it is useful medically! When you have a sunburn and are in need of some Aloe split open a leaf on the plant, scoop out the gel into a jar, and place it in the fridge. After 15 minutes apply to needed area and feel the soothing action of this plant.
  2. Neon Devil’s Ivy (Pothos plant): Neon Pothos has such bright colored foliage, grows fast, gets fairly large, and best of all… easy to take care of. Any king of Devil’s ivy indoor plant has fairly easy care instructions. Maintaining moist soil and placing it in indirect lighting will make these plants thrive anywhere. My roommate actually keeps one in her bathroom because of how low their sensitivity is.
  3. Snake Plant: Also known as the office plant, the snake plant is by far my easiest plant to take care of- in fact I forget I even have it sometimes. I water this plant whenever I remember too but it thrives on it’s own! Just place it in indirect lighting under your desk or in the corner of you room to brighten you up.
Marissa DiMaria

South Carolina '24

currently, a sophomore attending the University of South Carolina. Super excited about being a part of HerCampus!