intuitive eating photo 1
intuitive eating photo 1
Photo by Megan Ellis

Breakfast with Camryn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Breakfast has long been one of my absolute favorite meals of the day. Since going away to college, I struggled to find ingredients that were cheap enough for me to afford on a budget beyond my parent’s wallet. After some experimentation, and lots of contemplation on the audacity of grocery prices, I have accumulated a solid list of healthy breakfast options for college kids to make.

Breakfast Tacos

Simple and customizable, breakfast tacos are a great and easy option for breakfast any day of the week. I like to fill mine with scrambled eggs, vegan cheese, sausage and some salt and pepper. I wrap it all up a whole wheat wrap and boom, breakfast taco complete!

This recipe uses avocados and black beans for a nice southwestern take on a breakfast taco.

Oatmeal

I am a sucker for all things sweet, but find it hard to eat a super decadent meal first thing in the morning. Oatmeal is a happy medium between sweet and healthy to get me excited for the day. In my oatmeal I like to use almond milk or oat milk as the base liquid, then I add either almond butter and banana or some fresh strawberries. Honey and granola are never a bad idea too! With the mix of fiber filled oats and fresh fruit, it’s really good for your body.

Here’s a list of 50 oatmeal options to give you some food-spiration for your morning.

Banana Pancakes

Bananas are such a great fruit for your body. Mix that healthy choice into a pancake and your day is made. With simple ingredients such as eggs and cinnamon, this is super easy and fun to make. Flip away!

Rice Cakes (trust me)

I know that the thought of eating a patty made of dried rice does not necessarily sound appealing, but it’s all about the possibilities, and just like oatmeal, they truly are endless. Smothered in a thick dollop of fresh almond butter with sliced bananas, chia and flax seeds, and some honey to top it all off, this is a meal worth making.

Here are some more options for a nice rice cakemeal.

Smoothie

I have always been a bit intimidated by smoothies. To add ice or to not, which vegetables can I add and never taste, what fruit goes together, what is kale? These are the questions. But I’ve come to find that smoothies are a relatively simple and awesome option for most any meal. Frozen fruits and veggies are  a great move to avoid having to throw away old stuff too early. 

Here’s one of my go-to delicious and filling breakfast strawberry smoothies.

Follow my Pinterest for more breakfast recipies (many of the nutella variety)!

Camryn Teder

South Carolina '22

Camryn is a media arts major at the University of South Carolina. She loves Gus Dapperton, indie films, and her two dachshunds Gretchen and Heidi. You can find her laughing with friends over coffee, listening to Lily Allen on repeat, or day dreaming about Chicago.
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.