Best True Crime Documentaries You Need to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

What is it about true crime that reels us in like fish, then leaves us hungry for more? Maybe it’s the fascination of trying to understand the minds of those who do bad things to good people. Maybe it’s the fact that sometimes people can evade the law and away with “heinous” crimes (as our friends at Law & Order might feel inclined to say). But if you’re someone who really loves watching crime shows, some of the documentaries below are definitely worth spending all weekend on the couch for.

The Jinx

If there’s one word that can be used to describe this HBO docu-series, it is downright eerie. You really need to watch this one unfold and progress for yourself. But to break it down just a little, this is all focused on a man named Robert Durst, who has been ostracized by his very wealthy NYC family. He turns up in Galveston, Texas pretending to be a mute woman. In the show, you discover his past, and get a sense that death seems to follow him wherever he goes. Whatever you do, do NOT skip over this one!

The Imposter

In case you’re craving more creepiness, here’s another one for you! This one you can find on Netflix. (The best.) It’s about a young boy who goes missing from his neighborhood. Three years later, the family gets a phone call from police in Spain saying that they have found the missing young boy. Upon his return, the family starts to notice things are different and not quite as they used to be. Things get weird and confusing and just don’t make sense in the end…which makes it all the more interesting.

Paradise Lost

This is actually a real winner. You get a documentary, another documentary, AND an autobiography. The first documentary, Paradise Lost, is based on the convictions of three very young men who are wrongly convicted of murdering three boys (and doing other horribly vicious things). Johnny Depp even got into the mix of all this, and really supported these guys, so if that doesn’t catch your attention then who knows what will. In addition to this documentary, another more recent one was made called West of Memphis. And one of the guys who got convicted, Damien Echols, wrote Life After Death. Reading and watching all this gives you different perspectives of the same case – especially if you’re really into analyzing true crimes!

Team Foxcatcher (and then Foxcatcher)

So Team Foxcatcher is the documentary that you should watch first to get an idea of the background and history of the story. Basically, a really odd wealthy man, John du Pont, decides to fund a wrestling team on his grounds. The documentary is focused on the strange relationship du Pont has with the players he sponsors. Then there’s the movie that has taken some creative freedoms to make the plot a bit different, but still worth a watch and interesting to see the differences between the two. PLUS Channing Tatum is in it!!! 

BONUS: Going on a road trip? Don’t worry! These podcasts will last you quite a while.

Up and Vanished

Think Serial, but better. Seriously. (Also if you haven’t heard of Serial, check it out!) This one was released about a year ago, so it’s relatively new. A journalist from Atlanta, Payne Lindsey, looks into the disappearance of a young teacher (and beauty queen) from a small town in Georgia: Tara Grinstead. Lindsey looks into the town and tries talking to people who knew her to get to the bottom of the story. Originally scheduled for 12 episodes, it was extended because of everything that has been happening within the past year. So basically, you can hear what’s going on with the case in (almost) real time.

S-Town 

This one has gained quite a following in the podcast world. It is centered around a man, John B. McLemore, who lives in a small town in Alabama, which he calls “S**t-Town”, hence the name S-Town. McLemore is quite eccentric, almost leaving your brows furrowed whenever he speaks during the podcast. But as the podcast progresses, you learn more about him and the town that he has lived in his entire life. Check this one out! 

With Halloween right around the corner, these docs will get you in the spirit!

Sarah Westbrook

South Carolina

Sarah Westbrook is a senior at the University of South Carolina. She majors in Marketing with a minor in PR and Advertising, and hopes to one day open up a cupcake boutique. She loves baking, snuggling with dogs, watching Criminal Minds, and Carolina Game Days!!!
SC Contributor

South Carolina