This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

We all know how stressful buying new makeup can be, whether it be finding the right shades, consistencies, or— most importantly— not breaking the bank with every purchase.  Here, we’ll highlight some of the best inexpensive makeup products that compare to some of the most popular brands and products.  Never worry about paying for costly items ever again! 

1. Foundation:

• L’Oréal Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation: Priced at less than $13, this foundation is lightweight and lasts for up to 24 hours.  It is often compared to the NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation, which is priced at nearly $50.  

• NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Foundation:  Costing less than $10, this foundation is often compared as a dupe for the Fenty Beauty Filt’r Soft Matte Foundation, which costs $34.  The NYX dupe offers full coverage, as well as a matte finish.  It also has a wide shade range, which is super helpful as it accommodates any skin tone!

2. Mascara:

• L’Oréal Voluminous Lash Paradise: Coming in at $10, this dupe for the Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara (which is $24) is a perfect alternative— especially if you use mascara often and run out quickly!  L’Oréal’s mascara will still provide great volume and dramatic pigmentation, without breaking the bank. 

• Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara:  Maybelline’s Lash Sensational Mascara is $6.99 and is often compared to the Benefit Roller Lash Mascara, which rings in at $20.  Maybelline’s stays put for hours on end, and when used with an eyelash curler will give a dramatic flair to your eyes!

3. Bronzer: 

• Compared to the tried and true Benefit Hoola Bronzing Powder, which costs $30, the Rimmel Natural Bronzers are a great, affordable alternative, only costing less than $5!  This bronzer will provide a natural bronzed look that blends seamlessly into your skin. 

• Another tried and true bronzer, the NARS Bronzing Powder, can set you back at least $40.  However, a dupe for this bronzer is the NYX Matte Bronzer, which only costs $10.  With multiple shades, this bronzer is a perfect dupe in order to get a beautiful, natural glow with buildable coverage. 

4. Highlighter: 

• Wet n Wild: Wet n Wild’s highlighters, if you haven’t tried them already, are a game changer.  They still provide a blinding highlight, stay on all day, and are super affordable!  Both the Wet n Wild MegaGlo Makeup Stick (which is $4!) and the MegaGlo Highlighting Powder are great dupes for products that are similar from brands such as Glossier or Becca (which can cost anywhere from $22-$38).  

• NYX Away We Glow Liquid Booster:  This NYX product can be used under foundation to provide a glowing, dewy look, and rings in at $9.  This is a steal, as it is often compared to the Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter, which will set you back roughly $45.  

5. Lip Products: 

• Essence Shine Shine Shine Wet Look Lip Gloss: At just $3.29, this lip gloss is a complete game changer.  Coming in a wide variety of shades, including a glassy clear color, this lip gloss is not sticky, will give a “wet” look to your lips, and smells like candy.  Not to mention, it’s only $3! 

• Colourpop Lippie Stix:  Offered in a wide shade range, these roll-up lip sticks are the perfect dupe for expensive matte-finish lipsticks, such as Mac or Kylie Cosmetics.  They are non-drying, medium coverage lipsticks with a velvet finish that only cost $7.  There are also matching Colourpop lip liners for many of the shades, called Lippie Pencils, which ring in at $6.

With these dupes, it’s simple to try out different makeup products without worrying about spending too much!  Try some of these out and incorporate them into your looks, and you might just find your new favorite beauty item that won’t break your bank!   

Danielle Wallace

South Carolina '23

Hi there! I’m Danielle, a junior Journalism major at the University of South Carolina. I love cats, 2000’s music, and Juicy Couture tracksuits. I love all things pink, and you will never see me without my nails done. Xoxo!
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.