10 Things I Hate About You Julia Stiles Heath Ledger
Touchstone Pictures

Are Celebrities Promoting Unhealthy Relationship Tropes?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

There is no doubt that 2023 is already off to a bang when it comes to celebrity drama. It feels like everyone and their mother knows about the Selena Gomez and Hailey Bieber age-long feud that has somehow come back to life. While it’s undeniable just how entertaining it can be, what does it mean for viewers who worship these stars? Some people get so invested, they act as though this drama is happening in their own personal lives. Of course, no judgement — we all love to tune in to the rich and famous — but what happens when they expose too much? 

CELEBRITIES WHO TOOK IT TOO FAR

Let’s think back to a few years ago. Ronnie Ortiz-Magro, the star of everyone’s favorite reality television show Jersey Shore, was making an even bigger name for himself for all the wrong reasons. He and his former girlfriend were involved in an extremely toxic and violent relationship, both choosing to post to millions of people anytime a fight occurred and someone was injured. The relationship was so toxic that both parties had been arrested at one point or another for harming or putting the other at risk. Jersey Shore is without a doubt one of the biggest reality shows of all time — millions of people tuned in to see the eight stars party and have fun — but with that meant millions were also being exposed to Ronnie’s unhealthy relationships/behavior. What kind of example is he setting by continuing to post every messy fight and dangerous situation he and his partner had? Many of these viewers are at an impressionable age, and seeing one of their favorite celebrities promote this kind of unhealthy behavior in a relationship can only encourage them to do the same.

More recently, Tristan Thompson and Khloé Kardashian have been off and on for years. The Kardashian family is one of the most famous in the world, which naturally comes with millions upon millions of eyes on them. Tristan Thompson’s and Khloé’s relationship has gained extreme media attention due to Thompson’s continuous public infidelity. When giving birth to her firstborn, news dropped that Thompson had been unfaithful — and from there it only seemed to escalate. Exposing young viewers and die-hard fans to this kind of toxic relationship does nothing but put those same behaviors and ideas into the heads of millions.

IT’S TIME TO PROMOTE HEALTH

Now what’s the point? Naturally, everyone’s life is their own, and they have the right to do as they please. But at what cost? When given a platform like these A-list celebrities, it’s only fair for them to use that power responsibly. They know just how many eyes are on them, so why choose to influence their audience for the worse instead of the better?

Allison Mischel

South Carolina '25

Allison Mischel is the senior editor at Her Campus’s South Carolina Chapter. Her role is to oversee submitted articles and make necessary changes if needed! Allison is currently a junior at the University of South Carolina majoring in English. She hopes to pursue a career in publishing following her undergraduate education. In past years Allison had experience writing/editing for various publications as well freelance experience. In her free time Allison enjoys reading, hiking, going to local coffee shops and hanging out with friends!