7 Must-Haves for Your Grown-Up Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Whether graduation is on the horizon or you’re just preparing for an internship, the professional world often times requires a professional wardrobe. No matter how much we wish we could live in leggings and comfort colors for our whole lives, it’s important to update our closets. So here are our top picks for items every 20-something should own!

1. Killer Black Blazer

This blazer needs to make you feel like you run the world. You’re going to have to wear a blazer to interviews and you’ll want to look your best! After all, how can you land your dream job if you don’t feel amazing? Snag this LIFE IN MOTION Classic-Fit Ponte Blazer ($148) from Banana Republic for a polished, professional look.

2. Classic Pumps

Get yourself a great pair of heels that DON’T make you want to amputate your feet at the end of the day. A classic black pump that is comfortable enough to wear all day or all night is a necessity. Check out these Alessa Black Nubuck D’Orsay Pumps ($31) from Lulus for a fashionable take on this tried and true classic.

3. LBD (Little Black Dress)

Every girl needs a little black dress in her closet. This timeless look is your best friend! Spending a little more on this look to make sure it’s a perfect fit is so worth it. Try out this Lucy Black Mesh Shift Dress ($30) from Tobi!

4. Jeans That Fit

Say goodbye to those jeans from high school that you keep hoping might fit again one day. It’s also time to lose the pair that “fit” after you jump up and down ten times and suck in as much as you can. You are a professional woman. Get a pair of jeans that look and feel good! Check out brands like Lucky Brand or Madewell for some pairs that will last.

5. Collard Button-down

This versatile piece is great for the office or dressing up a pair of jeans. You can always go classic with a solid color or be bold with a pattern! Check out the New perfect shirt in cotton poplin ($69.50) from J.Crew—it will be a staple in your closet.

6. Statement Necklace

Every girl needs a reliable piece of jewelry, a necklace they can always count on to complete their outfit. A statement necklace (like this one from Francesca’s) is just the piece of jewelry you need to complete any look!

7. A Great Bag

That cross-body is great for carrying your phone, ID and lipstick, but what happens when you need to take a purse somewhere other than a bar? It’s time to ditch that worn out purse you’ve been toting around for years. Let’s update it with a great handbag that can carry everything you need! This one is completely up to personal preference, but check out places like T.J. Maxx and Marshalls for some awesome steals on designer bags.

With these seven grown-up wardrobe staples, you’ll be sure to walk into your future in style. 

Alex is a Public Relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is an avid napper, a lover of guacamole and an Office enthusiast.
SC Contributor

South Carolina