This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If you felt that last semester you weren’t practicing the healthiest habits, I am right there with you. Here are some habits that will help you to improve your mental and physical health this semester.

Wake up early

This doesn’t mean you have to schedule 8am’s all week (unless that’s what works- you do you!), but instead of sleeping until noon, try to wake up a few hours before. Last semester, the first class I had scheduled for the whole week was at 1:10. I would wake just to get lunch, go to class, and then I had time to do anything else in the day.

Water, water, water

I cannot stress this enough, water is so important. I aim to drink around 80 ounces a day. I recommend getting a big reusable water bottle to fill up and use throughout the day (mine is 40 ounces)!

Try different workouts

During my first semester I rarely went to the gym, and when I did go I would focus on the treadmill. And let me tell you… I do not like running long distances and even worse, I HATE TREADMILLS! Every time I worked out I was doing something that I didn’t actually like to do, which made me want to do it even less. When I got home, however, I started to try out crossfit and boxing. Suddenly working out became so much more enjoyable. It is so important to remember that you don’t have to go to the gym to be healthy, you can incorporate other forms of movement into your life like swimming, biking, yoga, and walking!

Make your bed

Along with almost everything on this list, the effectiveness of this tip really depends on the person, but I swear by making my bed right when I wake up. For some unknown reason I cannot get anything done when my room is a mess. By simply making my bed everyday, I improve my mood and somehow become more productive. If you struggle with productivity, I definitely recommend giving it a try to kickstart your day!

Make your own food

This one may seem difficult, especially if you are a busy college student, but here me out: oatmeal, smoothies, protein balls, and salad bars in the dining hall! Because I started preparing most of my food I was able to eat exactly what I wanted while knowing all of the ingredients in it. By all means, eat Chick Fil A if that’s what makes you happy (because it definitely makes me happy too!), but if you want to try something new making your own food is the way to go!

Give these a try to give yourself a little motivational boost!

Jenna Marandola

South Carolina '24

Jenna is a junior public relations major at the University of South Carolina. She is a foodie and hopes to travel anywhere and everywhere. She loves cooking and is always down for a trip to the beach.
Abby Davies

South Carolina '22

U of SC '22. Public Health major.