5 TED Talks for When You Need Some Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

What is truly important? How can we all live a fulfilled life? Is it okay to fail? Are my looks everything? How do I embrace myself? The answers to all these questions and more can be found with five simple clicks and an hour’s worth of attention. Listen to these five TED talks for the inspiration all women need to start their 20’s vibrant and effective.  

1. Meg Jay: “Why 30 is not the new 20”

This TED talk encompasses the true meaning of what it is to be 20. Meg agrees that women tend to settle down later in life than they have in the past but that 20-year-olds should not waste the opportunity to develop themselves and their ideals. Throughout this talk, she enlightens her audience with three valuable pieces of advice to make the most out of your 20’s. So take a seat and enjoy the fresh insight Meg has for women like us. 

2. Scott Dinsmore: “How to find work you love”

Scott Dinsmore was placed in a job he did not find meaningful. The lack of that meaning led him to believe that it doesn’t matter who you work for, what matters is the impact you feel you are making. Throughout this talk, Scott touches on this topic many times. As we begin searching for jobs, it’s important to choose them not as a resume builder, as Scott reminds us, but as something that gives us meaning. Listen to Scott’s words of wisdom, as they will guide us toward a better ending.  

3. Elizabeth Gilbert: “Success, Failure and the Drive to Keep Creating”

Elizabeth Gilbert, the author of “Eat Pray Love”, discusses success and failure and how to continue on regardless of the outcome. Elizabeth tells the story of how she began writing and all the disappointments she repeatedly faced once she began her journey. This short talk will inspire anyone to keep going for a dream no matter the letdowns life may throw.  Her recent book “Big Magic” touches on many of these same aspects. Take a couple minutes to listen in on Elizabeth’s advice, and keep creating. 

4. Cameron Russell: “Looks Aren’t Everything, Believe Me; I’m a Model”

Cameron Russell addresses the positive and negative experiences she’s had while modeling. In this short talk, she discusses the power of image in our perceived successes and our perceived failures. Cameron lets the audience know the privilege she has received simply from her looks but also why that stigma needs to be changed. Take nine minutes to learn what it’s really like to be a model. 

5. Thandie Newton: “Embracing Otherness, Embracing Myself” 

Actress Thandie Newton tells the story of finding “otherness”. She describes to us the pain she felt as a child when her idea of “self” was rejected again and again, and how that rejection defined how she viewed herself for a period of time. Through this talk, Thandie relays stories from her childhood as she grew up in two distinct cultures. Listen to this moving talk about finding “otherness”.

These five TED Talks will surely light a spark. Whether that spark be to define your 20’s, exude more confidence, find a fulfilling job, or embrace your true self, these TED Talks will help get you there.