5 Inevitable Happenings on Family Vacations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Family vacations are the best, but no matter where you go or what you do, some things never change. Here’s our list of what to expect on your family vactions:

1. You’re late. 

No matter how well planned your vacation is, you’ll be running late at some point. Whether it’s when you leave the house or on your way to dinner, you somehow manage to get off schedule.

2. You get lost.

You’re driving down the highway and everything seems A-O.K. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, your exit sneaks up and you end up taking a 30-minute detour. Or even worse, there’s a fork in the road and you can’t figure out which way to go in time. The GPS is recalculating…recalculating…recalculating. Will you ever make it back on track?

3. You fight. 

Being late and getting lost is stressful, and sometimes it causes you to fight. A long trip leaves time for a ton of conversations, and sometimes that means a ton of arguments too. At some point in your vacation, everything seems to explode and you can’t wait to get home.

4. You learn a lot about each other. 

Once you calm down from fighting, you realize that you never knew how much it bothered your brother to be lost. You find out how your mom feels about her new job and you hear about your dad’s latest round of golf. Vacations give everyone a chance to catch up without the daily stresses of life getting in the way.

5. You make amazing memories. 

Remember that time your dad did something really embarrassing that your family still talks about? Or that time you laughed uncontrollably until your sides hurt? It’s true that some things never change, and you wouldn’t have it any other way. You love your family, and they love you just as much. Despite the fact that you just spent the last hour singing at the top of your lungs to Justin Bieber.

Cassie Sobers

South Carolina

Cassie is a Management and Marketing major at the University of South Carolina. She is an outgoing and adventurous person, and an avid runner. When she is not writing for Her Campus or training for a race, you can find her browsing Pinterest for a creative project to tackle, reading a good book, or cooking a delicious meal.
SC Contributor

South Carolina