Style

5 Halloween Costumes You Can Make from Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

This Halloween when you get a last minute invite to a costume party, don’t fret. There is no need to rush to the nearest costume store when you can make a head-turning costume from what is already in your closet. Rock one of these costumes without spending a penny or running around looking for final accessories. Just in case you want to pick up an item or two to add to the costume, or just your closet, look at some staple pieces we recommend for the perfect look (and are in a college girl’s price range).

1. Audrey Hepburn

The Breakfast at Tiffany’s star has become a national icon. Audrey Hepburn is constantly rocking her most glamorous articles at all times, and you can too this Halloween.

What you’ll need:

• Little Black Dress
  • Black Sunglasses
  • Black Gloves
  • Black ballet flats or pumps
  • All the glitz and glam jewelry you can get your hands on (try to stick to the pearls and diamonds)!

Hair:

The updo of your choice, a sock bun is always a great go to. If you have them, feel free to use fancy bobby pins or clips to hold it all together.

Makeup:

Keep it classy and basic, nothing too crazy. For your eyes, aim for a light look with heavy mascara. For your face, don’t contour too hard, but blush is a plus! Top it off with a subtle lip color.

2. Gymnast

Bring out your inner Olympian this Halloween with all of your favorite pieces you never would’ve imagined pairing.

What you’ll need:

• A bodysuit of your choice (or leotard)
  • Leggings, sweatpants or spandex shorts
  • Medal (you may have one packed away from childhood, or you can buy a fake one)
  • Hair scrunchie
  • Medical or washi tape (wrap your hands)
  • Athletic sneakers

Hair:

Tie your hair back tight in a ponytail or bun using the scrunchie

Makeup:

Makeup is optional with this look, flaunt your go-to look or change it up for the holiday.

3. Rosie the Riveter

Show of your girl power with this great look. Rosie is beautiful, tough and simple.

What you’ll need:

Hair: 

Pull your hair back into a messy bun and tie the bandana as a headband.

Makeup:

Do the eye and face makeup of your choice, then top it off with a bright red lip.

4. Workout Barbie

The iconic Workout Barbie is a comfy, athletic go-to. Kind of like the gymnast costume this one shows off a sporty side but allows for girly aspects

What you’ll need:

Hair:

There are two options for this look. (1) Tie your hair into a tight and high ponytail and add the headband as it’s intended or repurpose it as a scrunchie. (2) Go for a big curly look with your hair down and add the headband.

Makeup:

Feel free to be as extra and wild as you want. After all, you are Barbie!

5. Error costume not found

When all else fails, this is a good route to take. Wear all black, do your hair and makeup as you wish (if at all) and stick a sheet of paper to yourself reading “Error: Costume Not Found”.

DIY this Halloween with these easy, homemade costumes!

SC Contributor

South Carolina

Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.