5 Chill Things to do for Valentine’s Day Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Love is in the air and Valentine’s Day is coming up this weekend. Some look forward to this holiday all year, while some others could really care less. Here are 5 things you can do for Valentine’s Day if you’re not with all the hoopla of going all out and spending a lot of money.

1. Cook dinner at home

We all know everyone’s first instinct when most holidays come around is to go out to eat. I for one can’t stand crowds and waiting in long lines at restaurants. Instead of going through the hassle of figuring out where to eat and possibly not liking the food you order, cook a romantic dinner at home with your significant other. The time the two of you will spend together making the meal will be more meaningful and is sure to be a good time. Have fun dressing up and enjoying a private candle lit dinner for two in the comfort of your own home.

2. Make each other gifts

Every college kid is on a budget. Good thing there’s something special about personalized gifts! Make your Valentine something that they can actually use and cherish forever. A cute canvas for their wall, a personalized jewelry dish, or a special framed photo can mean more to a person than something store bought. Not exactly all that crafty? Make them a Valentine’s card with a personalized message. No store-bought card can get a message across to your valentine like you can. It may seem corny to make a gift or card at our age, but there’s no better feeling knowing that someone put time and effort into making something for you. Your valentine is sure to appreciate it.

3. Girls’ Night

So you don’t have a date for Valentine’s Day? That’s okay. Celebrate with your best girls! Have them over for dinner and a sleepover, and don’t forget the wine! Watch movies all night and pig out on chocolate that you wish you got from someone else. Don’t make it a pity party though. Yes, not having a date can be sad, but spending time laughing with close friends that you love can beat that feeling easily.

4. Spend time with your parents

Yes, spend time with your parents. If nobody else loves you, they do. A parent’s love for their child will never die. Exchange gifts and go out to lunch with your parents. It’ll be nice to see love that you can look up to and plus, who doesn’t like a free meal?

5. Be productive

If you’re going to be moping around all weekend because you didn’t have a date for Valentine’s Day, you might as well be productive while you’re at it. Get some studying in while everyone’s out enjoying each other’s company and spending money on chocolate and flowers. You’ll be glad you did and love yourself for it after the weekend is over.