4 Ways to Customize Your Clothes and Accessories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

The newest style trend is personalizing everything, from jackets to pants to hats. We know, it might seem like a lot of extra effort, but it’s a lot easier than you think! In fact, there are a lot of quick, effortless ways to make your look stand out, like ironing on patches to jean jacket or dip dying your shirt. All of these ideas take about 10 minutes and can be done using tools you probably already have. 

1. Add a fun patch

It’s no secret that patches are in. We’ve seen them everywhere, from jackets to jeans to hats—we can’t seem to escape them. But, hey, why should we? Ironing on personalized patches are great for hiding tears in fabric or just for adding a quick personal touch! Next time you’re looking for a way to spice up your style, add a patch or even a pin.

3. Make your own jewelry

Adding custom accessories to any outfit is the best way to insure your look isn’t spotted on anyone else. Next time your class gets cancelled, or you find yourself with nothing to do on a Saturday, grab a few friends and have a choker, ring or earrings making party.

2. Dip Dye your shirt

Graphic tees are a great way to make any outfit a little bit edgier. That, coupled with the fact that it feels like you’re wearing pajamas, makes a graphic tee everyone’s go-to. Stand out from the rest by dip dying your look.

4. Cut and tie your shirts and pants

Creating custom tee’s for gamedays quickly became a staple this past football season. There’s no reason for this trend to stop, though. A cropped, cut or tied tee makes any outfit stand out. You can even take this trend a step further by ripping your jeans yourself too!

Next time you’re on the verge of looking too basic (is that even possible?) try out one of these quick fixes for a unique look! Be sure to tag us in your completed look on Instagram, @hcsouthcarolina

Lexi Hill

South Carolina '18

Lexi is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying multimedia journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to the city where she can pursue a creative career and grow old with her pet pug.