Career > Money

3 Easy Ways to Improve Your Financial Literacy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

*Disclaimer: Not a financial advisor! I’m simply providing ways to help others learn more about personal finance.*

If you’ve ever felt like navigating the world of money and finance is a bit like trying to understand an imaginary language, you’re not alone. But fear not, because I’ve got some super easy and approachable ways to help you improve your financial literacy! Let’s get started.

Read or Listen to Books

I know reading is not a lot of people’s cup of tea, however it is one of the best ways to understand money. Picking up a good book about money can be a game-changer! If you can’t get yourself to sit down and read, find the audiobook! Listen on the go or whenever you do mundane tasks like folding laundry. 

• Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki: This book is a real eye-opener about how rich people think differently about money. I find that readers who come from lower income families or backgrounds would gain more from this book as it discusses the financial habits of more affluent individuals. It’s a fun read and might just change your perspective on finances.
  • The Psychology of Money by Morgan Housel: This book gets into the psychology of how we deal with money. It’s not your typical boring finance book and can help you understand your own money habits better.

Check Out YouTube Videos:

• Matt D’Avella’s Channel: Matt shares cool tips on how to save money and invest wisely. His videos are pretty easy to follow and are very engaging. 
  • Nischa’s Channel: Nischa is an accountant and Youtuber who focuses on personal finance, money management, and stock investments. 

Tune into Podcasts:

• NPR Planet Money: This podcast is like a conversation about all things money and economics. Episodes are super short and insightful! They keep it interesting and not too heavy to keep up. 
  • Financial Feminist: This podcast is all about women taking control of their finances. It’s super empowering and can help you navigate your unique financial challenges.
  • Brown Ambition: This podcast focuses on financial empowerment, career development, and building wealth. It provides practical advice and real-life stories to inspire you on your financial journey.

In addition to these resources, don’t forget to keep finding opportunities to learn! Take online courses, go to workshops, or chat with professionals when you need some financial advice. Take the steps you can to set yourself up for success.

Avona Le

South Carolina '25

Hi! I'm the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. I oversee all articles published by our chapter and even write some of my own! I'm currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, majoring in Marketing and Finance with a concentration in Business Analytics. I want to pursue a career in marketing analytics or market research. In my free time, I love to try new restaurants, hang with friends and go on walks. I am always down to catch an amazing view of the sun or the stars!