sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Halloween Movies to Watch Before the 31st

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Halloween is a holiday unlike any other. It’s not just one day, but an entire season of spooky tidings and thrills. The chilly nights on a hayride, the controversial candy corn, insta-worthy pumpkin patches—what could be better? One of the best parts of Halloween can be reached from the comfort of your own couch. That’s right: it’s Halloween movie time. This is the cherry on top of the spooky season sundae.

With only a few days left until the big night, it’s time to sink down into that couch and binge some of Halloween’s best films with a fuzzy blanket pulled up to your chin and a big bowl of candy beside you. There is an overwhelming amount of films to comb through, so here are my top ten picks of Halloween movies you should watch to count down the days until the 31st.

Halloween

My friend and I saw a Michael Myers life-size figurine the other day. When I pointed it out she asked, who is Michael? Please do not let this happen. Jaime Lee Curtis does not deserve that. This 1978 slasher film follows a bloodthirsty killer as he searches for his next victim the night before Halloween. You may need to sleep with the lights on after this.

Scream 

You may have heard of it because this movie is only at the epicenter of slasher films. A satirical take on horror films, this movie follows a group of friends analyzing the ridiculous and predictable makeup of all horror movies. Things start to become really ridiculous when a killer named Ghostface pops up to ruin the party.

Hocus Pocus

Every Halloween fanatic knows this to be a cult classic film. A teenager accidentally brings three evil witches back to life hundreds of years after their deaths. The result is a film full of comedy and horror as the sisters wreak havoc across Salem. 

Ghostbusters

Another spooky and comedic classic tale. Comedy and Halloween really seem to go hand-in-hand. This is one of the all-time best Halloween comedies. With an unforgettable ensemble, a golden script, and, of course, ghosts, how could you go wrong?

Halloweentown

Here’s another one I pulled out of the Disney archives. If you’re looking for a night of childhood nostalgia and female empowerment, then go get some popcorn and hit play. This film follows a young witch and her eccentric grandmother on their journey to Halloweentown, a haven for witches, vampires, and werewolves, as they fight off evil spirits. 

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Now, I asked myself before adding this to my list, is this considered a Christmas or Halloween movie? I started thinking about it: kidnapping Santa Claus, scary monsters, the main character is a skeleton… definitely a Halloween movie. How is this okay for kids? Tim Burton combines his eerie world of Halloween with a touch of Christmas spirit to create a blended masterpiece of horror and comedy. This movie comes complete with an incredible soundtrack spearheaded by Danny Elfman, and, some of the best claymation ever. 

The Addams Family

I bet you’re already singing the theme song in your head. Gomez, Morticia, Wednesday, Pugsley—ah! The whole family together, delightfully unhappy and donned in black. The Addams Family embody the spirit of Halloween. Let them be a lesson for all of you already playing Christmas music. 

The Conjuring

Now when I see ‘based on a true story’ run across the screen during a horror movie, I tend to run the other direction. But, sometimes you have to make the sacrifice for the thrill. This movie does not disappoint. Paranormal investigators Ed and Laurene Warren travel to a secluded farmhouse where a family has begun to experiencing supernatural horrors. Together they uncover the secrets of the house’s dark past, and work to destroy the terrors hidden inside.

Beetlejuice

Young Alec Baldwin. Need I say more? How about the annoying dead guy with green hair? That’s what I thought. After a couple dies in an untimely car crash and ends up stuck haunting their own home for eternity, they attempt to scare away the new buyers. After a few unsuccessful attempts, they call on help from a spirit named Beetlejuice so they can live, or die, in peace.

Twitches

Where are all my OG Disney fans? I see you girl! This movie is not just about long-lost sisters; it’s about twitches. Twin witches! I love that. This 2005 hit is a must-see for a Halloween night with your girls.

Whether you’re looking for scary, or funny, or sweet this Halloween, there’s something out there for you. Grab some popcorn and a blanket and get into the spooky season spirit!

Camryn Teder

South Carolina '22

Camryn is a media arts major at the University of South Carolina. She loves Gus Dapperton, indie films, and her two dachshunds Gretchen and Heidi. You can find her laughing with friends over coffee, listening to Lily Allen on repeat, or day dreaming about Chicago.
Katie Graybill

South Carolina '20

Katie is a journalism student at the University of South Carolina. She loves the beach, traveling, writing, and spending time with her pets!