Time’s Up GOFundMe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

On December 6, 2018, GoFundMe, a fundraising site that helps people who need money to donate for causes, has announced that Time’s Up has raised more money than any other fundraiser in history. They launched it in December 2017 during the time of the Me Too Movement to show women they were not alone. Time’s Up fund is for “ connects those who experience sexual harassment, abuse or related retaliation in the workplace or trying to advance their careers with legal and public relations assistance. The money raised will help defray legal and public relations costs in select cases based on criteria and availability of funds ” (GoFundMe). The money will go to The National Women’s Law Center that has been continuing for 45 years to help women have justice.

Time’s Up GoFundMe account has almost helped 1,000 women to be connected with lawyers to help fight against sexual discrimination, assault, harassment, and much more to go into court.  This GoFundMe has helped many women to speak up and take a stand of their rights. Even though it is a small number of women being helped, it is still a giant step for more women in the United States to be ready to take a stand for change.

Many famous people have contributed to the Time’s Up Campaign. Kate Capshaw and Steven Spielberg’s Wunderkinder Foundation has donated about 2 million dollars into the campaign. While, others such as Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, etc. have donated almost about 500,000 dollars to the Time’s Up Movement. Because of these famous people contributing, it has caused many more to donate adding up to 21,500 people in the United States to help.

In the end, they have reached their goal. Time’s Up Campaign “thank you so much for your generous support of the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund. The National Women’s Law Center is honored to house and administer this Fund, and your support will help women who have experienced sexual harassment and assault at work find justice.” Slowly, this is a huge step into the Time’s Up Movement that can help women and girls to face it with people who understand and help them with anything they can to get justice.

Hi, my name is Katrina Hilke. I go to Sonoma State University majoring in English Creative Writing.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma