Ten Books You Were Assigned to Read in High School that You Should Reread in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Whether you liked them or not, high school English classes led you to read some pretty memorable books. It may be years since you’ve thought about them, but many of these novels are still relevant to your life and can still teach you new life lessons. Here are ten books that you were likely assigned to read in high school that you should reread now that you’re in college.

Walden by Henry David Thoreau

Full disclosure: I’ve read Walden for school three times now, and I’ve hated it every time. However, it is a really important book to read in a time when we are all in serious, committed relationships with our smartphones. We may not be prepared to walk away from technology, but it will likely do us some good to at least read about it.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Yes, Of Mice and Men has a really sad ending. That’s probably what most students remember the book for, even if they can’t remember anything else that happens in the story, or even if they haven’t read it in years, or even if they only skimmed the book. But it also addresses serious issues that are still relevant today, such as the struggles of migrant workers and mental illness. And this book is fairly short and straightforward, so you can finish reading it fairly quickly.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…” Everyone remembers the iconic opening to A Tale of Two Cities. Even though it is set during the French Revolution, it’s actually one of Dickens’ less dark and depressing books. This work of historical fiction features symbolism and satire that characterizes Dickens’ work.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those books that even the kids who don’t really like reading enjoy. Then again, there are also still students out there wondering why no birds were actually killed (and therefore missing the point of the book entirely). This sweet coming-of-age story is always good to reread, but now is an especially good time to remind ourselves not to judge others, because we don’t really know someone until we’ve walked in their footsteps.

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

There’s never a bad time to reread Hamlet, especially since you can learn something new from it each time you read. Also, the government in Hamlet is led by a king who killed his own brother and married his brother’s wife, so it serves as a good reminder to us all that it could be worse then what we’re currently dealing with.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

For a book that was published in the 1800s, The Scarlet Letter is surprisingly progressive. Even though the premise of the book is that the female protagonist is being punished for having a daughter out of wedlock, the book itself criticizes the punishment and questions why only Hester is being punished, when, as those of us in the 2000s would say, it takes two to tango. It’s anti-slut-shaming long before slut-shaming was a commonly used term. And when you’re finished rereading, you can rewatch The Easy A, because that movie is hilarious.

The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien

Full Disclosure: This is another assigned book I seriously hated, but since it’s on the list I might give it another try. This book is full of very graphic imagery of war that are often difficult to read and evoke strong emotional reactions from readers. The book also includes important literary techniques such as an unreliable narrator.

The Odyssey by Homer

The Odyssey is the great-great…etc. grandparent of every adventure movie you’ve ever seen. This epic poem is a sequel to The Iliad, which tells the story of the Trojan War. The Odyssey chronicles the adventures of Odysseus on his journey home to Ithaca, which takes him ten years. The story is fascinating and surprisingly easy to read, plus Odysseus’s wife Penelope is a strong and smart feminist character.

The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare

Sorry for the repeat, but if any author was going to be on here twice, it would be Shakespeare. The Merchant of Venice tackles the tough subjects of prejudice and discrimination (especially considering the time period). The play also features a strong, confident female lead who makes her own decisions regarding her future.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Reading The Great Gatsby is generally regarded as the high point of 11th grade English class. Fitzgerald’s beautiful writing and memorable quotes make us somehow care about the shallow characters that make up this decadent story of excess, unrequited love, and a past you can never really escape. In all fairness though, this book is really only on this list because pretty much everyone loves The Great Gatsby, so of course now is a good time to reread it. Plus, who doesn’t love an opportunity to use this gif?

Happy Reading!

Hello, my name is Charlotte! I am an English and Communications major here at Sonoma State, which means that I am pretty much always reading or writing something. I love reading articles posted here on Her Campus, so I am thrilled to have the opportunity to be one of the people who gets to write articles for the site. Aside from writing, I love reading, politics, Netflix, Disney princess movies, the word lovely and the color pink. Thank you very much for reading! all my love, charlotte
Contributor account for HC Sonoma