This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Eve Cooper is the Assistant Coordinator of Orientation and Transitions at Sonoma State. This is her first year working at Sonoma and we’re excited she’s here working with our freshmen, sophomores, and transfer students!

Her Campus: Hi Eve! So happy to have you at Sonoma! Tell me about yourself, where are you from?

Eve Cooper: I’m from Novato, and I grew up in the Monterey Peninsula.

HC: I’ve heard you’re a Sonoma State grad! What was your undergrad experience like?

EC: Well I went to five junior colleges before I went to Sonoma, including Santa Rosa Junior College. I transferred to Sonoma as a Junior. I was a sociology major with a psychology minor. I also got my Master’s at Sonoma, a MA in Counseling with two concentrations, in school and marriage/family.

HC: Very cool, glad you loved Sonoma so much you came back! What did you do after college?

EC: I worked at an elementary school, where I also did my internship for my Masters. Then I worked as a counselor at Novato High School for fourteen years.

HC: That’s amazing! What was your favorite thing about being a high school counselor?

EC I loved counseling, working with the students, all the new challenges. I also volunteered for tons of school-related things. I was an advisor for California Scholarship FOundation, Blue Ribbon Coalition, English Language Acquisition, and Site Leadership.

HC: Impressive! (Could she be any more involved??) What else do you like to do?

EC: Well I’m really invested in school spirit. I will always have school spirit for my old high school, and Sonoma. My husband and I go to games all the time, he’s a total sports junkie. We’ve gone all the way to Humboldt and LA to watch a game.

HC: Great! Sonoma needs more school spirit, and especially more people at our sports events! Do you have a favorite sport or team?

EC: To participate in, my favorite sport is cycling or hiking. To watch, it’s definitely a tie between baseball and football. And I’m a loyal Niner’s fan, and for baseball it’s Giants all the way.

HC: Heck yes, support the Bay area! What about your husband?

EC: Andre is my husband, we’ll be married for 23 years next week (HC note- awwww). WE’re going to Mexico for Thanksgiving to celebrate. We met in a Personals Ad in the Pacific Sun! Yes you can put that in the article. My best friend made me put in the ad. And Andre’s mom picked my ad for him and said “You need to call this girl”. And he did, and we hit it off immediately. We’re total opposites; we have similar views, similar tolerances, but opposite personalities.

HC: Well you know what they say, opposites attract! That’s adorable, and happy anniversary. What do you guys like to do in your spare time?

EC: Well we love to travel, we travel as much as we can. We like going to places like Tahoe. We love hiking, especially with our dog.

HC: Aww puppy! What’s your dog like?

EC: His name is Rosco! He’s a two and a half year old Australian Cattle Dog. We’ve had him since he was a baby. He likes to hike, steal things, swim, eat my clothes. He always needs a job, like when he goes upstairs he needs to carry something up the stairs, usually a sock or a newspaper or something. But he will try to steal clothes to take upstairs. He’s so social and loves everything and everyone. And he loves to hike, he will hike with you as long as you’re willing to hike. We also have a cat named Callie. She’s a curmudgeon, 13 years old. Great mouser, but not friends with Rosco sadly.

HC: *screaming internally because SO CUTE*

Thank you so much for sharing Eve! Lastly, how are you feeling in your role here at Sonoma? Eve: I love it. I love the new programs, the exposure to new challenges, and especially working with such a great team.

Thank you for talking with us Eve! Can’t wait to see all the great things you’ll do at Sonoma!

Want to find out more about the people at SSU? Check out these profiles!

Yadira Ramirez: http://www.hercampus.com/school/sonoma-state/profile-yadira-ramirez

Sierra Smith: http://www.hercampus.com/school/sonoma-state/profile-sierra-smith

Bobby Chakolov: http://www.hercampus.com/school/sonoma-state/profile-bobby-chakalov

I'm Suzie, and I'm a senior at Sonoma State University! I'm a Peer Mentor, a member of SSU's Equestrian team, cat lover, tea drinker, avid book reader. I'm an anthropology major pursuing a career in higher education and student affairs as an advocate for student programs with a focus on diversity, mental health, and sexual assault awareness. I'm excited to gain experience learning about and raising awareness of current campus issues through writing for HerCampus!
Contributor account for HC Sonoma