Profile: Emily Acosta-Lewis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Emily Acosta-Lewis is a fourth year professor in the Communication and Media Studies department at Sonoma State. She is a currently a professor in residence, and is in charge of the student run PR firm, Primitivo. Emily is especially inspiring to her female students, whom she pushes beyond their limits to achieve their potential.

Her Campus: Where did you attend school?

Emily Acosta-Lewis: San Diego State University-bachelor’s degree; University of Wisconsin-Madison for Master’s and PhD

HC: What do you do at Sonoma State? What is your favorite thing about Sonoma State?

EA: I am an Assistant Professor of Communication and Media Studies at SSU; my favorite thing about working at SSU is my colleagues and the supportive environment; my favorite thing about campus is walking around and seeing all of the different types of trees, plants, flowers, etc and also the hills that peek through in between the buildings.

HC: What inspired you to go into Public Relations?

EA: My undergraduate advisor is who inspired me to pursue PR as a career- his name is Dr. Glen Broom and he’s well known in the PR world for the intro to PR book he co-authored. He also attended UW-Madison for his graduate work and so in a lot of ways, I’ve followed in his footsteps- UW-Madison for grad school and then a CSU for teaching.

HC: What has been your favorite job?

EA: My favorite job is the one I have now-I really enjoy being an Assistant Professor at SSU. I like working with the students and I am also currently living with the students as part of the ACE living learning community. I really like seeing the students grow, develop, and learn throughout their college career and after.

HC: Where is your favorite place to travel?

EA: This one is really hard…I love traveling so much. I have been to 31 countries thus far and am shooting for 50 countries by the time I turn 50. The place I want to visit again the most is South Africa-I loved the country, the culture, the people, and the animals- going on safari is one of the highlights of my life. The place I’ve traveled to the most that is not related to visiting family is Florida-I went there several times as a kid and then have been there about 5 times in the past 6 years.

HC: What advice do you have for college-aged women about to enter the “real world”?

EA: Ah so much advice-but the first thing is to negotiate your salary! Many women don’t negotiate their salary, (and many men do) which adds to the pay gap. Also, know that your first job is not your last job and may not be your dream job, location, or salary. In time, that will work itself out and you’ll make more money and be in a location and career that you love. Also, apply for jobs outside of your comfort zone because you never know what type of job you may end up loving or what location/city you may fall in love with.

HC: What is the best part of adulthood?

EA: The part of adulthood pre-baby was having the ability and funds to travel whenever you want. The best part of adulthood post-baby is being a mom and having a family of my own.

HC: Would you rather never be able to drink coffee again or never be able to drink wine again?

EA: I don’t drink coffee so that’s an easy one.

Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.