Profile: Curtis Clausen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

I went to a small, 50-kid elementary school from kindergarten through sixth grade. Not many people knew about it, and, clearly, not many people attended. However, I met Curtis Clausen there – and 11 years later, we have been reunited at Sonoma State! Thankfully, Curtis was kind enough to take some time out of his busy schedule to answer some questions.

Her Campus: Let’s get started with the basics: what’s your major, and what year are you?

Curtis Clausen: I am a third year from Santa Cruz, and my major is environmental studies with a planning concentration.

HC: Why did you choose to attend Sonoma State?

CC: I chose Sonoma State because I was ready to experience an unfiltered life.  I wanted to go to a state school where I could make my own decisions and be independent in thought and action.

HC: What are the worst and best things about Sonoma State?

CC: Right off the bat the worst part of the school is the homogeneity.  I wish there was more of a drive towards individualism.  I don’t mean to say it doesn’t exist, however it is important to celebrate being your own person.  Alternatively the best part of Sonoma State is the opportunity.  As a Sonoma State student I am blessed enough to be given opportunities through internships and jobs that the school is constantly exposing me to.  I also really appreciate the fact that the professors are willing to make a connection with their students.

HC: Professors can totally make or break a class.

CC: Definitely. I feel like all of my Professors are truly accessible which is rare and also more valuable than most people realize.

What have been your favorite classes so far?

CC: My favorite classes have been my ENSP classes, it is my major and I take sustainability very seriously.  It is also important to note the GE classes that have gotten me where I am today, like the Philosophy 101 class.

HC: Not many people give credit to their GE courses. What made philosophy stand out?

CC: That class really was an eye opener. It wasn’t one in terms of my career necessarily, but in terms of the type of person I wanted to be, which is arguably more important.

HC: Are you a part of any clubs, organizations, or fraternities?

CC: I am a member of the Rowing Club which is an excellent organization. I honestly can’t recommend it enough because it teaches discipline, the value of hard work, and gives me a rich social life.

HC: It sounds like a very fulfilling and empowering organization.

CC: It is. It’s not my full identity, but I am constantly inspired by my teammates to be a better rower, a better student, and a better member of society.

HC: What are your career goals, or goals that you hope to achieve in general?

CC: I intend to save the world.

HC: That’s a pretty big goal.

CC: I know it sounds vague and general; however, I am unconditionally committed to making sure that my presence as a person is remembered by making a positive impact.  I think the largest issue facing the world currently is climate change and anything I can do to combat that and not go broke in the process is my main goal.

HC: You seem very passionate about your major. Any advice for people planning to major in environmental studies?

CC: My main advice for people pursuing environmental studies with an emphasis in planning is to be ready for learning everywhere.  I have learned as much about planning from my general education as I have from my major classes.  I have found that when you are thinking of planning it is important to realize that everyone is impacted by planning.  It is the beauty of the major that you control large demographics, but when you are given that power, use the knowledge you have gained through life experiences to do the most good for the most people.

HC: And last but not least: what is your favorite food?

CC: It is hard to pick a favorite food but I am always a fan of lasagna and salmon.  Definitely not at the same time but that is about as good as it gets for me.

HC: Thanks for talking with me, Curtis! I hope to see you around campus!

CC: Thanks for interviewing me, I’ll see you around!