My People Are Not Criminals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

My people are not criminals.

My people are not all rapists and dangerous.

My people are not all ‘cholos’ (gang bangers).

My people do not only depend on handouts or steal from the government.

My people are hard working individuals who want nothing else but to better their lives.

To better the life of their children, family, and friends.

To get away from the violence in their country.

To get away from the negativity they thought they weren’t going to deal with here.

My people are the ones who traveled hundreds of miles, sometimes without rest.

My people’s journey to get here is everything but easy.

My people have been a part of sexual assault, my people have witnessed murder, my people have gone through things that no one should ever witness.

My people has seen their children taken my groups of men who were too horny to care about the fact she was only 8 years old.

Too horny to care about the fact their daughter could have been in the same situation as the little angel they ruined.

My people’s journey is horrendous, but they go through it  just to live life the way it was handed out to you.

But instead of living in the land of the free and the home of the brave, they are living in constant fear.

Fear that one day, the country they have been living in for the majority of their life will tell them to leave because they are no longer wanted.

Fear that one day, they will have to leave behind everything they have worked hard for.

Fear of having to leave their loved ones who were lucky enough to have been born on the north side of the border.

My people deserve a chance.

My people deserve to be treated like human beings.

My people deserve respect.

My people deserve love.

Edith Ayala is currently a third year at Sonoma State University. She was raised by a Salvadoran family in the heart of Los Angeles from 1996-2014. In 2014, she moved to Rohnert Park to attend school. She is a Computer Science major and plans on working for Google at some point of her life. Edith likes to write about situations that she has been in, in a way her readers can relate to.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma