Marina Aasen: Small town girl, Big dreams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

HerCampus sat down with Marina Aasen this week to capture her life at SSU. Not only is she a full time student, but is working on top of her school load. She’s a small town girl with some fiery, big dreams and she’s on the road to making those happen. When Marina isn’t studying or working you can find her at cuddled up at home or at concerts with her friends. Here’s what Marina said about her SSU life:

HC: What year are you and how long have you been at SSU?

MA:  I am a senior and have been at SSU since Fall 2013.

HC: So you came here right after high school?

MA: Yes, I came to Sonoma State as a freshman. I am from Santa Clara, CA and went to Santa Clara High School. I was a cheerleader for 3 years and that was a such a great experience for me. It taught me leadership, teamwork, dedication, and confidence in myself. In Fall of 2015 I went to the University of Alabama as a National Student Exchange student. It is exactly like studying abroad, just in the United States. I chose to do this because I am a huge fan of their football team and I wanted a different environment than California. It was the best experience of my life and I am so glad I did it. I made friends and memories that will last me a lifetime.

HC: What are you studying at Sonoma State?

MA: I am studying criminal justice with a minor in philosophy.

HC: What do you do in your free time on or off campus?

MA: In my free time I like to hangout with my friends and family, catch up on my Netflix shows, watch movies, go on walks, and color. One of my favorite activities on campus  is going to some of the concerts at the Green Music Center. They have been getting some great artists here and it is always a great time!

HC: Do you work as well?

MA: Yes, I work at the Sandwich spot.

HC: Will your major influence your work in the future?

MA: In the future it will play a big role in my career because I really want to get into juvenile justice and helping younger kids get themselves out of situations they shouldn’t be in.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

MA:   My dream would be to move to New York City with my best friends and work for a non-profit or social justice organization.

If you’re a freshman trying to figure out the ropes of Sonoma State, Marina is the person to know. She has a good heart and a bright soul. We wish her well in her after graduation plans and in the future.

Hi I'm Ari. I love all things nature.There is beauty all around us, we just have to look to really see it. I love anything yoga, cheese, crystals, hula hooping, eating and traveling.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma