This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

I’ll be open about it – I love lube. It makes sex less painful, it’s silky smooth, and my boyfriend finds it fun to introduce, too.

But the best part about lube? There are so many different kinds to try! From water-based to oil-based to flavored, there’s something for everyone. However, most people are hush-hush about their use of it, or their desire to try it. That’s why I’ve compiled a list of lubes with both pros AND cons, so you can start trying what you think are the best for you.

Water-Based Lube

Water-based lube was the first kind of lube I tried, and I loved it instantly. It feels smooth and glides magically, washes out of fabrics and sheets easily, is quick to clean up after, and can be used with any sex toy and condoms. Generally, it’s one of the simplest options to go with.

The cons? There aren’t many. However, because they’re water-based, they won’t last in any water business you’re having. They also need reapplication fairly regularly, so be ready to reapply based on how long you’re going at it – especially if you’re exposed to the air. (I find I don’t need to reapply it during actual sex, but I usually have to during any kind of –jobs.)

Silicone-Based Lube

Silicone-based lube is great for water play and lasts longer than water-based lube, meaning there’s less of a need for reapplication. However, it’s harder to wash out of bedding and clothing, and you can’t use silicone toys with silicone-based lube because it will begin to erode the rubber in your toys. You can use it with any other type of toy as well as latex condoms, though, so the few cons may not be relevant to you at all.

Hybrid Lube

Hybrid lubes combine silicone-based lubes with water-based lubes. The cool part? There’s such little silicone that they won’t damage your toys, they last a long time thanks to the silicone, and they’re easy to clean out of sheets and clothes because they’re also water-based. While you won’t get the exact same feelings you would get out of each on their own, there’s very little to dislike about them.

Oil-Based Lube

Oil-based lube is great for foreplay, hand-jobs, and massages, but not so great for actual intercourse. This is mainly because it isn’t easy to clean off or out, leaving bacteria around that can lead to infection. It also damages latex, meaning you can’t use most condoms, dental dams, and other safe-sex methods. So again: great for outside-of-the-body use, not so great for inside-the-body use.

“Fun” Lube

Then there are the “fun” lubes – the flavored, warming, tingling, arousal-enhancing lubes. As long as you check what their bases are so you use them properly, you’re free to find one that works for you. The only cons are that you might not like some. But, then again, there may be many that you do like! Try some out and see what works for you and your partner. And if you don’t like any, that’s fine! It’s all about personal preference.

Lube is a wonderful invention, and if you’re struggling with painful sex, a lack of arousal, or simply want to try something new, find a reliable brand and/or sex store to help you figure out what will work best for you.

Have a blast!

Related Articles: STIs: The New Normal

6 Hookups You Have In Your 20’s

Well hey there! I'm Tess, and I'm a junior majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing - so I clearly love writing. I'm also a singer-songwriter in the electropop genre - I just released my first EP as my side project, T3TRA (shameless self promotion holla). I'm a fan of the color black, baking, sarcasm, sushi, and cribbage, and if you're a fan of any of these things as well, we should be friends.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma