This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

I have an older brother who has a passion for coffee, something that I wish I had appreciated earlier in life so that we could have had more coffee dates before he moved to New York City. He showed me what GREAT coffee tasted like and I have grown to appreciate great, hot, black coffee from great coffee shops. Don’t get me wrong, I love Starbucks as much as the next person and you will probably find me there more than I would like to admit, but if you are looking for some great coffee places in the area (Rohnert Park or Cotati) here are three places to check out. 

Johnny Java

They have the best tables for group study work. The mocha I had was amazing and the environment is quiet enough to study in. I am not so sure if WIFI is available or not, but if you are looking for somewhere to go and read a good book this is the place to do it. My friend and I arrived close to closing time but the doors stayed open and the lone barista served with us with a smile on her face even though it was past their business hours. Check it out and bring a friend, you don’t need WiFi if you have good company.

Cotati Coffee

Honestly, I felt like a fish out of water here. The building is small, not a lot of space to go do much of anything. I brought my boyfriend and the poor man got hit with a door when someone was trying to enter. Although they have awesome art, and the vibe is very earthy and comfortable, I wouldn’t do much else except maybe stop for coffee because of the limited space. The Mocha (it is usually how I test out new coffee shops) was yummy, and they have a couple other drinks that I would be willing to try as well.

Honey Badger Coffee Company

I loved this place. A little bit out of the way but very worth it. The women were loving and welcoming and the room is naturally lit and cozy. I tried my very first Mexican Mocha and will be going back within the next couple of weeks (or days) to get another. I think this might be my new go to coffee shop to get my homework done. What I really enjoyed was that the baristas took time to chat with the patrons and were genuinely interested in them, it was a personable café; somewhere that reminded me of home. I wrote my name on a Loyalty Card and left it at the Register; I hope you do the same.

So from one coffee lover to the next, I wish you luck on your coffee adventures and let me know what you think about these places. Honestly, let me know what you think of any place. 

Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.