This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Senioritis has had strong impact on upcoming graduating students. These effects can be seen at different times in the students throughout their last year of college. Here are some of the symptoms of senioritis and ways to cope with them when it happens to you. According to Urban Dictionary, senioritis is “a crippling disease that strikes college seniors. Symptoms include: laziness, an over-excessive wearing of track pants, old athletic shirts, sweatpants, athletic shorts, and sweatshirts. Also features a lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as graduation.”

Lack of determination

When senioritis hits and graduation is so close, every homework assignment can feel like a huge waste of time, which makes it extremely hard to find motivation to complete your work…. And on time.

Procrastination

Procrastination is something that you either suffer from, or have a wild time conquering. Those who regularly suffer from procrastination know how it can affect your school work. Most people say they work better under pressure and that is the reason they wait so long to finish homework assignments. However, others who do not ‘work well under pressure’ can suffer from turning in bad work.

Skipping class

Lack of determination and a decline in motivation can result in skipping class. There are so many other things that you could be getting done other than sitting in a class with a teacher who treats you like a high school student. One alternative to skipping class is grabbing a beer at Lobos before you endure the never-ending class that stands before you.

Feeling like the semester should be over

If you’re anything like me, I thought that the semester was coming to an end in the beginning of October. To my surprise, we hadn’t even gotten through Halloween let alone thanksgiving. This is common among seniors and will only get worse the closer to graduation we get.

Next time you feel like you are alone with these feelings, you can find comfort in the fact that the rest of the senior class is feeling the same way as you. You are not alone!

Hi I'm Ari. I love all things nature.There is beauty all around us, we just have to look to really see it. I love anything yoga, cheese, crystals, hula hooping, eating and traveling.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma