brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > Digital

If you criticize political postings on social media, you’re part of the problem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

It really grinds my gears when people make others feel bad for expressing political opinions on social media.

We are in a media driven society, and the beauty of modern technology is being able to be as public and interactive as ever when it comes to things we are passionate about, such as politics. When I hear statements like “stop posting about politics, you don’t know what you’re talking about, keep your opinions to yourself, you’re not changing anyone’s mind”, what I’m really hearing is your implication that only the most educated, the elitist, should be able to engage in political discussion. Not coincidentally, those who post these critical statements are often those whose lives will not be dramatically altered by the election: White, or male, or middle to upper class, or a combination of such. People who benefit from things staying “the way things are” because they are benefitting from a society that elevates the privileged through the oppression of so many.

Don’t you understand how detrimental that is to the political process? And I’m not talking about the spread of dangerous misinformation, I’m talking about peers creating a culture that judges those who care about our country.

Because you know who doesn’t want you to be politically engaged? The guy you don’t support. He’s scared of your voice, your passion, your vote.

So you’re angry? BE ANGRY. Be passionate and opinionated and driven and everything else that matters because it does matter and YOU MATTER. Be all those things, if your emotion encourages you to raise your voice in truth and justice.

I want to hear your hopes, your fears, whatever keeps you up at night. Because we need this conversation if we wish to dare call ourselves a democratic society.

For me?

I’m angry at the the constant stream of comments from the Presidential elect that encourages sexism, racism, and violence, such as “the blacks” (Trump in reference to minority groups all the time), “they don’t look like Indians to me” (Trump to the House subcommittee on Native American Affairs, 1993), “Maybe [the protester] should have been roughed up” (Trump defending the attack on a Black Lives Matter protester at a November rally), and “It really doesn’t matter what they write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass”.

I’m scared to be a woman in a country controlled by Donald Trump, as I do not believe he cares for women’s issues and has repeatedly used language of rape culture and called us names like “fat pigs” and “disgusting animals” – don’t even get me started on the “locker room talk”.

I’m appalled that the most powerful leader in the world is one supported by the KKK as well as neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups, the first of which he took days to disavow, and that many people don’t see the problem with that.

I’m nervous that a republican-dominated House and Senate will mean there is no stopping this dangerously powerful man.

I’m excited that the abnormally eccentric election frenzy is finally forcing people to pay attention to politics.

I’m terrified that the decision behind many votes may be based in ignorance or lack of understanding, and disgusted at how many Americans revealed their racism, sexism, and immorals through their votes.

I’m anxious about the impact on the world at large, with literal countries protesting to ban Trump. We must look like such a joke.

And I am so goddamn proud of us millennials, and everyone who exercises their democratic rights, for not being scared to have a voice, for being the change we wish to see in the world, and pausing our overwhelming lives to get off our asses and vote because WE matter.

Be tired. Be mad. But don’t be afraid. Take care of yourself, rest, and wake up with a promise to be more charitable, to fight harder for good, to support the many grieving minority communities who are literally scared for their lives. Use your voice, because this isn’t over.

So don’t call me dramatic. Don’t call anyone who is beyond hurt, beyond angry, people who are shaken to their core with fear “dramatic”. We are not dramatic. We are passionate. We are the change.