How to Make Your Day a Little Healthier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

1. Walk To School

Nothing gets me angrier than fighting for parking spots, and spending 15 minutes each day doing so was not how I planned on doing well in school. I live about 5 minutes driving from school, and this translated to a 10 minute walk. If every person who lived this close to school replace there 5 minute drive + 10-15 minutes looking for parking, there would a) be more parking for those who needs to actually drive, b) you just saved a ton of time getting to class, and c) your heart is happier and so is your soul.

2. Cut Out the Sugar

You don’t need sugar in your coffee. You just don’t. It’s unnecessary, and cutting out sugar in my coffee a few years ago has allowed me to have the best blood pressure ever, I sleep better, and am just happier. Recent studies have shown that over consuming sugar is just as dangerous to human health as alcoholism/hard drugs overtime.

3. Focus on a Positive

Rather than dwelling on having too much homework or that you can’t find parking, find just one thing that makes you happy and be grateful for that. Thinking positively makes your brain release feel good hormones, which will then make you more alert and just all around stoked.

4. BYOL

Bring your own lunch! By packing your own food, you can ensure that you’re eating enough fruits and vegetables and have the freshest food possible. Not to mention, you’re saving tons of money overtime by not dropping a pretty penny on food everyday.

5. 1 Bottle Per Class

Challenge yourself to drink an entire bottle of water in each class! Sure you’ll have to pee a lot, but nothing is better for your body that proper hydration.

6. Stroll in Your 10 Minute Break

Get up our of your seat and move around! Don’t spend your break scrolling through Instagram, instead stroll by the ponds or do a lap around the building. Fresh air and movement will improve your focus in class, and is great for your heart.

Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.