free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Career Services to the Rescue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

College is not simply a place where you go to class and go home. There are a plethora of things to do and ways to get involved. There are also a variety of services available to support students, from tutoring to writing help to the study abroad office. Here at Sonoma State University, we are lucky to have some really amazing services staffed by wonderful people who truly want to help. My personal favorite? Career Services.

I did not step foot into Career Services until second semester sophomore year. Yet ever since my first appointment, I have been stopping by at least every other week. I originally sought it out when I was preparing application materials for summer internships. I can write a decent resume and cover letter, and have secured positions before, but I found myself with a really great opportunity for the summer and wanted my materials to be perfect. I made an appointment with Carrie, who helped me realize that I, in fact, have been structuring these documents wrong for the entirety of my high school and college careers. She walked me through how to construct my applications, turning my experience and skills into a glowing resume and cover letter. I was so delighted and impressed by both the process and outcome that I found myself genuinely having fun working with her. And when I did finally send in my application materials, I felt confident knowing that I put my best foot forward.

It’s frankly amazing how many people are unaware of how many helpful services Career Services offers. As their website says:

“Sonoma State Career Services provides comprehensive career services to students through career development, experiential learning, resume development, on-campus recruitment and employer networking. We serve as the bridge between Sonoma State’s college experience and employment or graduate school, helping students make the connection between what they have learned and how they may apply the framework into the world of work. We provide students and recent graduates the assistance to make career decisions, connect with employers, and attain their life goals.”

http://www.sonoma.edu/career/

I have found that the staff really do want to help you. You can make an appointment for just about anything, and they’ll be there for you. And you don’t even have to make an appointment if you don’t want to. They have a variety of incredibly helpful online resources available at http://www.sonoma.edu/career/student_services/ that includes everything from career assessments, to helping you choose a major, to resume and cover letter templates, job search tips, and presentations. They are also good resources to explore to prepare for any appointments you make. Additionally, Career Services goes out of its way to provide students with workshops and connections to job opportunities. I recently attended the LinkedIn Networking workshop, which helped get my LinkedIn to all-star status, as well as the Career Fair, during which I connected with several employers.

Whether you are looking for jobs, internships, or just want advice, I highly recommend making an appointment with SSU’s Career Services.

Contributor account for HC Sonoma