Campus Cutie: Jake Spain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Sonoma State senior Jake Spain comes from Aptos, CA and while he may not be graduating this year, he has one more semester of his history major to look forward to before starting his teaching credential program. 

“I’m hoping to get my credential either here or at Dominican University,” said Spain.  Spain hopes to become a high school US history teacher after getting his degree. 

This history major is passionate about teaching others and not just history but volleyball as well. 

“I played volleyball my freshmen year here at Sonoma and then I broke my hand my sophomore year and then started coaching in Petaluma,” said Spain.  “And I’ve been coaching ever since.”

Spain may have started his coaching career in Petaluma but now he just coaches at two schools.

“I currently coach volleyball at Dominican University and I just got hired at Marin Catholic as a coach,” said Spain.  Dominican University and Marin Catholic are both located in San Rafael. 

For this dedicated student, school and volleyball are pretty much his life right now. 

“I go to school, and then I’m either coaching club volleyball, high school volleyball or college volleyball,” said Spain.  “That’s my life right now.”

Sports seemed to have played a big role in Spain’s life growing up so it’s no wonder he’s still so passionate about them today.  While he may only focus on volleyball right now, he wasn’t that way in high school!

“I played sports all my life,” said Spain.  “In high school I played football, I wrestled, and I played volleyball.“

We expect great things from this future teacher, so keep a look out for him on campus, volleyball in hand!

And for all you ladies out there: this Campus cutie is currently single.  Not that he’ll stay that way for long!

Alexandra Schwarz is a senior at Sonoma State University located in Northern California. As a Communications major with a double focus in public relations and writing, she hopes to pursue a media career upon graduation in May of 2012. While attending Sonoma State, she has been an active leader for the campus in the Residential Life department in both the dorms and classroom life and was even invited to attend a national leadership conference (NACURH). When she's not managing the Sonoma State Her Campus branch, she spends her time traveling with EF College Break through her internship as a campus manager. She is also an active member in her sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, as well as a public relations intern for an art gallery. Her hobbies include crafting, traveling, reading, dancing, cooking, and trying new things. Fun fact: she has met Darren Criss of Glee!